Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

My 240 Talari

Introductions

Old 07-31-2007, 10:30 AM   #1

moondance100 is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Model: 1995 Z240 Talari 502 Bravo III
Gallery Images: 6

Send moondance100:
a Private Message

Default My 240 Talari

The beginning of my Mariah ownership was less than auspicious. I found a 1995 240 Talari on a bulletin board at a gas station near my marina. It was one owner with 150 hours, 454, bravo 3, with Z package. I took a look and I was hooked. It wasn’t quite in the condition that I hoped for, but I bought it right (or so I thought).

I pulled it home and headed for the lake. I got it out on the water, dropped the throttle and it planed beautifully. But as soon as it planed, smoke and steam started coming from the engine compartment. I u-turned back to my slip, by the time I got it in, it sounded horrible, and the bilge pump was on pumping hot water into the lake. You didn’t need to be a boat mechanic to figure out what was going on. I hauled it out of the lake and took it to the shop. I wasn’t surprised when I got the news a few days later that the 454 was cracked. I was mad and insulted. I called the dude I bought it from and he basically said sue me. I heard it run in the driveway before I bought it, but obviously not long enough to find the problem; lesson learned. So here I sat, a boat that needs about 9k worth of repairs. I had a choice, sell it and take a beating, or fix it up and take a beating later. Either way, I was going to take a bloodbath financially. So I decided to fix it.

I gutted the inside of it, and took to a body shop. The finish from the rubstrip up was faded and it wasn’t going to polish. I took off the windshield and everything that would unscrew and had it repainted ivory from the rubstrip up and into the interior. The guy that painted it was a boat guy and he recommended a product called Imron2000. When I picked it up, the result was beautiful. I was finally seeing the gorgeous boat that this could be!

Next step was power. I was looking at new GM long blocks found a spot out east that would ship a new 454 to my door for $5100. But wait, a 502 was just $200 more! I’ve had a ton to deal with on this boat, I may as well indulge myself. While I was waiting on the engine to arrive and be installed, I worked on the stereo.

I like music on the water, so all winter long, I had been amassing sound equipment. I got a pioneer DEH-5800, 4 6.5” Polk Momo two way speakers, 2 10” Polk Momo subs, a 2000w profile amp powering the subs, and a 1000w profile amp powering the smaller speakers. This combo is superlative in power and clarity. I recommend it!

The 502 bolted in just fine and by Memorial day, I had a clean boat with over 400 hp and 500 ft/lbs of torque! I still have some detailing to do on the boat. I have all the parts for thru-hull exhaust. I’m thinking that 502 needs to be heard, but I’m about tired of working on it! I’m going to play with it for a while…maybe exhaust this winter….

I've got some pics up in the gallery, I'll try to get some more up.
  • Old 07-31-2007, 02:43 PM   #2

Straad is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Barchetta 182
    My Engine: 4.3 Merc
    Gallery Images: 8

Send Straad:
    a Private Message

wow, sorry to hear that
    I was afraid of the same thing when i bought mine
    the term "as is" sends chills up my spine

sounds like you have an absolute beauty now, i'll bet that things runs like a .... (well its a family board)

can't wait to see pics
    Old 07-31-2007, 03:09 PM   #3

moondance100 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 1995 Z240 Talari 502 Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 6

Send moondance100:
    a Private Message

Yeah, it runs! I've got a 2.0:1 bravo 3 and 24p props. With that propset, it tops out around 54, but it takes off like it's shot from a cannon!

I had a set of 26's but I promptly bent them when the lake was low. With them top end was around 58. I have a new set of 28's coming for it this week and I'm hoping to be in the low 60's and some easy low revving cruising around 40mph.
    Old 07-31-2007, 03:20 PM   #4

MariahMan is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: 252 Shabah
    My Engine: Volvo Penta 5.7GXi, DP
    Gallery Images: 211

Send MariahMan:
    a Private Message

that's one crazy story moondance! I say call it a blessing in disguise bcause without the cracked block you wouldnt have had the excuse to swap in the 502, haha. Thru hull exhaust would sound awesome on that boat! Looking to do that on mine but the 350 won't sound nearly as good as that 502. Sweet stereo too. Sounds like you got yourself one hell of a boat now

ThunderShark Web Solutions
    PM or email me if you need hosting or community support.