The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   Trying to figure out what model Mariah I have (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/12214-trying-figure-out-what-model-mariah-i-have.html)

Conbuster007 12-15-2018 09:54 PM

Trying to figure out what model Mariah I have

OK I'm aware that this might sound a little strange but I recently found a deal that I think was too good to pass up. At least I hope it was. It's a 1990 Mariah 2150 cuddy but nowhere on the boat nor in the owner's manual can I find the actual model. From looking at the few pictures I've found in the gallery I THINK it's the XLC but not sure and have no idea how to find out. the reason I think it's the XLC is because mine has the shower feature on the swim platform but not sure if other models do as well. Also I'm looking for a motor(5.7) for this boat and would appreciate anyone that could advise me on what to expect to pay for a rebuilt and where a good place to look would be. Thanks in advance for any help.

pole trick 12-18-2018 08:02 AM

Re: Trying to figure out what model Mariah I have

Well if you have it professional done with oem at mercruiser dealership$$$$$ Just for my 4.3...at mercury price was 4800.00 for new complete engine drop in and go. Plus Install.

I did have mine locally assembled at known good engine shop with good used parts and mix of new for 1750.00 and I installed back in boat myself. But that not realistic price, my cousin's own Marina, he had frozen cracked engine with low hours, I took the insides and had them installed them in my good block and heads...all I paid for was labor and rings, gaskets, oil pump, cam, bearings, seals. valve job, and assemble.

B.OA.T bust.out.another.thousand....good luck

pole trick 12-18-2018 08:19 AM

One other thing. A true marine engine is not a car engine, some shop will rebuild you a car grade engine and tell you it will be fine in a boat,...a 350 chevy is a 350 chevy. ..wrong!!!
A marine engine is HEAVY duty...they are 2 completely different engine builds...make sure your rebuilder understands this and ask if they do marine engines. You be surprize on how many fast ones pull this one over on people..

mikeyt 12-19-2018 02:03 AM

The 1990 2150 only came in two flavors... a 2150 XL which was a bow rider and a 2150 XLC which was a cuddy cabin.

As for the manual.... its useless and nothing more than a generic boating manual. You might want to consider becoming a contributing member so that you have access to the engine manuals, accessories manuals and brochures. Check the FAQ's.

Conbuster007 12-19-2018 04:55 PM

Thank you. I attempted to subscribe but the only payment it showed was PayPal which I don't use. Didn't give me a credit card option. Will try again later

dafucwuzat 12-22-2018 03:49 AM

Gonna try this reply 1 more time. As far as a marine engine. Not much difference. Slight difference in piston to wall clearance MAYBE. Brass freeze plugs. MAYBE a different cam. All depends on particular year. But I'm not sold on whole different breed of engine. Every engine has a ton of clearances to calculate in your mind what u think is right for its purpose and lifestyle. It's a constant duty engine. Sounds crazy to some people, but in today's world, it's not THAT big of deal.

dafucwuzat 12-22-2018 04:27 AM

But that's only if you're talking about the engine ONLY. There still carb, starter, distributor,, alternator, and intake "filter" to deal with. But u should already have all that. Have the engine gone thru, remachine where needed. And replace with same cam, and other like in kind internals, and u won't have a problem. BTW, there's a blue million people using zz502 short block in their boats as we debate over this with no issues. Just my .02

GaryDoug 01-12-2019 02:48 AM

The 350 in a Mariah is a truck version, not a car version.

dafucwuzat 01-12-2019 04:49 AM

So, with that said, I'd like to hear what the difference is between a sbc truck or car engine. I'm talking specs. You can get 2 or 4 bolt mains, same cams, compression ratios, etc., in a car or truck. I'm talking apples to apples, same year comparisons. And yes, you can get different engines in one year, but it's not simply by ordering a car or truck. Usually by time of year, but some options do apply. But never seen any specs of defining a truck engine from GM in a SBC