The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   Howdy from N Texas, a '95 202 Shabah project boat is coming home with us! (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/11656-howdy-n-texas-95-202-shabah-project-boat-coming-home-us.html)

ReedRanchTx 07-20-2017 10:45 PM

Howdy from N Texas, a '95 202 Shabah project boat is coming home with us!

1 Attachment(s)
I'm Lynn, my husband is Louis. We've had boats for years, but sold our last one, a 22' Four Winns about 8 years ago. At that time, we traveled often for business leaving little time to use it much. We're both home more now.

Louis recently did some work for a local boat repair shop and spotted a nice boat with bad interior there. :eek_animated:

It was in the far back of the shop's yard; they planned to send it out for upholstery to ready it for sale, but upholstery shops near here are booked until fall. The seller's shop has it mechanically sound, but the interior is shot, the last owners stored it outside. :(

We will have lots to do to get this once beautiful boat back to the condition it should be in, but we're willing to get this project going and we get to use it in the meantime.

Nice to find the forum!! We're looking forward to learning about this boat as we get to know it and sharing our experiences with all of you! :)

Firestone 07-20-2017 11:21 PM

Re: Howdy from N Texas, a '95 202 Shabah project boat is coming home with us!

Welcome to the club! All kinds of great info here. Please post pictures of your project. Looking to get my interior redone, swim deck, transom hot showet, etc etc lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GaryDoug 07-21-2017 01:59 AM

Since the boat was stored outdoors, and I'm assuming uncovered, because of the interior issues, I suggest you look carefully at the bottom to see if there are any "hooks" or other irregularities. In particular check the keel line to be straight and not indented anywhere. Rain water can seep under the floor through screw holes and cause rot of the floor/bottom wood stringers and bulkheads. That would be an expensive and labor-loaded repair job. Also check the transom for the same kind or warping, same issues with water-induced rot.

zluvr 07-21-2017 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryDoug (Post 63334)
Since the boat was stored outdoors, and I'm assuming uncovered, because of the interior issues, I suggest you look carefully at the bottom to see if there are any "hooks" or other irregularities. In particular check the keel line to be straight and not indented anywhere. Rain water can seep under the floor through screw holes and cause rot of the floor/bottom wood stringers and bulkheads. That would be an expensive and labor-loaded repair job. Also check the transom for the same kind or warping, same issues with water-induced rot.

Totally agree, my son just went thru this with a project boat, engine mounts, stringers and transom all shot. Worth a thorough look before you start putting money into beautufying the boat. Wishing you better luck than he had....There are some you tube videos on a hammer test looking for dead sounds where there is rot.

ReedRanchTx 07-21-2017 02:48 PM

Thanks for the tips! We suffered that disappointment with our first boat, so it was the first thing to check for. Vetted for rot, she seems structurally solid.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk