Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Hello from Edinburgh

Introductions

Old 05-22-2008, 07:13 PM   #1

Gary Black is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Model: 1999 182 Bowrider, Mercruiser 3.0 litre, Alpha one leg
Gallery Images: 5

Send Gary Black:
a Private Message

Default Hello from Edinburgh

Hi Guys,

I am currently working offshore and have just bought a Mariah 182 bowrider, 1999model one owner form new and a staggering 10 hours on the clock, it has been serviced every year and it looks like new, l pick it up on the 03rd June, it is the 3 litre Mrcruiser model (plenty big for Scotland). It is the first boat l have had as up to now, it has always been jet bikes.

My question is, have a l bought the right boat for myself and my family to enjoy the summenr months back home, is there anything l should be looking out for? Does anything go wrong with them?

Cheers,

Gary
  • Old 05-22-2008, 07:38 PM   #2

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary Black View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am currently working offshore and have just bought a Mariah 182 bowrider, 1999model one owner form new and a staggering 10 hours on the clock, it has been serviced every year and it looks like new, l pick it up on the 03rd June, it is the 3 litre Mrcruiser model (plenty big for Scotland). It is the first boat l have had as up to now, it has always been jet bikes.

My question is, have a l bought the right boat for myself and my family to enjoy the summenr months back home, is there anything l should be looking out for? Does anything go wrong with them?

Cheers,

Gary
    Welcome aboard Gary. I have a similar size boat and it handles 4-5 persons easily, 6 in a pinch. The 3.0 litre is a good economy motor that wont break your wallet at the petrol pumps this summer but it may struggle just a little if you are trying to haul a skiier or wakeboarder with 3-4 persons in the boat. Give it a try though & let us know how you make out. You can also add a set of "Smart Tabs" which will help the boat get on plane quickly & maintain that position at lower speeds as well as get rid of most of the low speed wander that smaller sterndrives tend to have.
    The only issue i can see with an 18ft boat in Scotland is the Loch Ness monster will swallow her in one shot....
    Old 05-22-2008, 07:46 PM   #3

dudders is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2006
    My Model: SX18
    My Engine: V6 4.3L
    Gallery Images: 53

Send dudders:
    a Private Message

Hi Gary, congratulations on your fantastic find - 10 hours for a '99 model - amazing.
    We have another member here called "Mark" who also has a 182 Shabah - with the 4.3ltr. I am sure he will be able to give you some "inside" information on your boat. You will be able to check out his boat in the Gallery section.
    Wet Willy will be able to advise you on how to check out the manuals etc as well.
    We have heaps of information regarding motors (including your 3 ltr model) outdrives and places to get spares etc. So ask away, we are all here to help.
    Glad to have you on board, we have a few others from Great Britain - almost said England - sorry mate.
    I work offshore too, we have a few Scots here from Aberdeene, Manchester, Shetland Islands etc, great bunch of blokes.
    As far as your question is concerned - boat size is purely a personal thing, depends on what you want from a boat. And as far your question "have I bought the right make of boat"?!?!? OF COURSE, just read some of the comments on this site, you will soon realise you have made the RIGHT decision.
    Just remember it wont be quite as quick as your jet bike, ok? But just as much fun.
    Cheers mate
    Tony
    Looks like MikeyT and I were replying at the same time. Gidday Mike.

Schizophrenia, together I can beat it.

Last edited by dudders; 05-22-2008 at 07:50 PM.
    Old 05-22-2008, 08:46 PM   #4

Find me on the Map

Send Gary Black:
    a Private Message

Default Thanks Guys

Tony, Mike,

Thanks for the replys, l am sure the family will have a ball in it, l will post some pictures of the boat as soon as l pick it up, the interior is really plush and with 135hph I am sure it will pull my backside out of the water on the old mono ski.

I think l have found a cracking site in this one, l am knocked out at such a quick response and feel chuffed at buying the boat, l am currently on a ship in the Persian Gulf due home next Saturday the 31st and picking the boat up on the
    02nd or 03rd, l am planning on taking it straight up to the Loch, the guy selling it to me is coming as well, so it cannot be bad! It has only ever been used in Loch Lomond (fresh water) on four occasions.

So l will let you guys know how l get on and post some photos of the big day.

I will start looking for the "Smart Tabs" now.

Thanks again,

Gary
    Old 05-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #5

dudders is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2006
    My Model: SX18
    My Engine: V6 4.3L
    Gallery Images: 53

Send dudders:
    a Private Message

I bet you are really excited about picking it up and taking it for your first spin.
    You are lucky to have someone who knows the boat taking you on your first outing.
    Here is the site that I got my Smart Tabs from. They arrived quite quickly and were easy to install. Even for a dumb ass like me.

http://www.ebuyersworld.com/SX9510-6.../sx9510-60.htm

Look forward to seeing your pics.
    Cheers

Schizophrenia, together I can beat it.
    Old 05-22-2008, 09:41 PM   #6

Find me on the Map

Send Gary Black:
    a Private Message

Thanks for the info on the smart tabs., they look the dogs....

I can get them delivered to the UK for 170 USD (thanks for the site info), as the xchange rate is in our favour at the moment, they seem like a bit of a bargain for what they appear to do.

Do they get in the way of the boarding ladder on the stern? if not, then l can see no reason not to get them as they improve just about everything from getting up on the plane, towing the toys and even improve fuel economy? seems like a no brainer to me.

Is there really such a big difference to the performance after installing them?

Cheers,

Gary
    Old 05-22-2008, 11:03 PM   #7

MariahMan is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: 252 Shabah
    My Engine: Volvo Penta 5.7GXi, DP
    Gallery Images: 211

Send MariahMan:
    a Private Message

Quote:

Here's a detailed thread on the smart tabs. I just did a forum search for "Smart Tabs" and came across this thread from a while back. I think you'll find the answers to your questions and even more here.

Welcome to the club Gary!

ThunderShark Web Solutions
    PM or email me if you need hosting or community support.
    Old 05-23-2008, 12:03 AM   #8

Mark is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: 182 shabah
    My Engine: 4.3L

Send Mark:
    a Private Message

Hi Gary
    Great boat you are going to have. I have the same boat i had mine out one time so far and love it im sure you will love yours. Good luck with it

Last edited by Mark; 05-23-2008 at 03:47 PM.
    Old 05-23-2008, 12:29 AM   #9

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Thanks for the info on the smart tabs., they look the dogs....

I can get them delivered to the UK for 170 USD (thanks for the site info), as the xchange rate is in our favour at the moment, they seem like a bit of a bargain for what they appear to do.

Do they get in the way of the boarding ladder on the stern? if not, then l can see no reason not to get them as they improve just about everything from getting up on the plane, towing the toys and even improve fuel economy? seems like a no brainer to me.

Cheers,

Gary
    Hi Gary

I didn't realize all the performance gains they advertise but it made enough of a difference on mine to make it worthwhile. Mine was slow to get on plane, quick to drop off plane and had a fair bit of slow speed wander. The Smart tabs fixed all of those problems and made the boat feel more stable at speed.

btw....dont forget to 'pin' yourself on our Member Map !

ps....Dudders doesnt really "work" on an off-shore rig. He just collects huge paycheques and plays on his computer all the time...
    Old 05-23-2008, 05:48 AM   #10

Find me on the Map

Send Gary Black:
    a Private Message

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for the info. I have started reading the details sent this mornnig on the Tab's, very interesting.

Mark, l cannot take the credit for working in the Gulf as l am here through choice working on a Seismic Ship looking for oil and gas.

As l am here again, what do you guys recommend for cleaning the white seating and interiors of the boat? Any products that are by far better than the others?

Cheers,

Gary