The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Electrical Issue (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/9565-electrical-issue.html)

Iowa Mike 07-04-2014 05:28 AM

Electrical Issue

I have a 1992 1900Z and believe that i have some sort of electrical issue. For over a year or more it seems like that if i run the boat at slow speeds for an extended perior of time my battery voltage drops from the 12.9/13.1 to 11.2/11.5.
Most recently i was on the lake for most of the afternoon varing the speed alot but at the end of the day i had to tow a fellow boater in which took 45 min to an hour. After getting him to the dock i headed to trailer my boat and neither the trim or the trailer function would work.
Could this be an altanator out put issue or some sort of ground problem in the wiring.

Any help would be great.

Iowa Mike

mikeyt 07-04-2014 01:19 PM

Re: Electrical Issue

Sounds like the alternator just isn't putting out enough to charge the battery. How old is the battery though?

Iowa Mike 07-04-2014 01:27 PM

The battery is roughly 5 years old holds a charge, i am going to test the cells today to see if they are all good.

I have added a GPS/depth finder/fish locater, it has sound system i am wondering if i need to add a second battery to the system.

ColoradoDiablo 07-04-2014 02:16 PM

As mikey said , sounds like alt too me also.
Check charge voltage at alternator main wire at idle and around 1800 rpm.
Or , easy enough to pull? , take it and have it tested.:yes_grin:

Iowa Mike 07-05-2014 04:31 PM

Did a little more digging and found that who ever installed the sound system in the boat had wired it wrong, the positive feed was back feediing the guages and seemed to be causing excessive draw on the system. I resourced the power supplies to the radiio and it seems to have resolved the issue regarding the voltage problem.

I sitll have an issue with the tilt/trim. When i cycled it yestertday before putting the boat in the water it worked fine up and down trailered and everything.

Put the boat in the water and worked intermitently i must have a wiring issue some where in the trim tab sensors or wires going into the pump from the lower unit.

mikeyt 07-05-2014 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowa Mike (Post 53882)
Did a little more digging and found that who ever installed the sound system in the boat had wired it wrong, the positive feed was back feediing the guages and seemed to be causing excessive draw on the system. I resourced the power supplies to the radiio and it seems to have resolved the issue regarding the voltage problem.

I sitll have an issue with the tilt/trim. When i cycled it yestertday before putting the boat in the water it worked fine up and down trailered and everything.

Put the boat in the water and worked intermitently i must have a wiring issue some where in the trim tab sensors or wires going into the pump from the lower unit.

Glad to hear you got the electrical issue fixed. As for the trim system, there is a STICKY at the top of this forum that explains how to troubleshoot your system. It's very easy to do and takes about 5 mins.