The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Wipe down sprays? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/8464-wipe-down-sprays.html)

theeasynine 07-11-2013 05:59 PM

Wipe down sprays?

What does everyone use for wipe down solutions after a day on the water? I usually just get right on the highway and air dry but sometimes the water level grime is hard to get off. I have heard water and vinegar but I'm not crazy about putting that on the gel coat. Thanks.

mikeyt 07-11-2013 06:04 PM

Re: Wipe down sprays?

I usually just air dry until i get home & then if the grime is bad i use Starbrite "Sea Safe" Hull Cleaner. Wipe on, rinse off.

180diablo 07-12-2013 02:35 AM

I have mine stored down the road from my cottage and I think they use some kind of acid bath. However, they do rinse it down on an already crappy trailer before lowering it back onto mine.

If I had a decent spot to store it, I would probably be going the same route as MikeyT does.

Motoxxx43 07-12-2013 05:49 AM

Muriatic acid removes water spots and hull discoloration. $4 a gallon at walmart. Don't get it on your concrete though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

mikeyt 07-12-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motoxxx43 (Post 46526)
Muriatic acid removes water spots and hull discoloration. $4 a gallon at walmart. Don't get it on your concrete though.

What ratio mix do you use? 3 parts water to 1 acid?

ShabahZ280 07-12-2013 02:25 PM

I used to use the Bass Pro Shop Heavy Duty Hull Cleaner. Worked wonders, and much cheaper than big name stuff ($11.99/32oz bottle!). They claim it doesn't use any harsh acids and it's environmentally safe. If you've got a Bass Pro around, go get some and try it out, you might be really impressed.

Also, it should be mentioned that if you have a galvanized trailer, make sure and cover it up with a tarp if you use any of these cleaning products. It'll remove the protective coating and allow the bare steel to rust. AND don't forget to use gloves with whatever you use. Muriatic acid is also known as Hydrochloric Acid. :)

Motoxxx43 07-12-2013 02:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyt (Post 46537)
What ratio mix do you use? 3 parts water to 1 acid?

The acid I have says use full strength on fiberglass. Its odor free so I imagine it is diluted.
I don't use it for a "wipe down" but when the water line gets too noticeable I'll clean it with this.

jetinspector 08-08-2013 03:28 AM

I try to wipe it down after I pull it out of the lake. If you can wipe it dry and remove all the lake scuzz it will stay cleaner longer without having to use the harsh cleaners or the vinegar. My dad always used brown vinegar and water mix, it works really well. If you have a good coat of wax on the boat it wipes down really easily. It also gives the people I bring along something to do when they ask "how can I help" when I am securing the boat for the road!

Dredd 08-14-2013 04:18 PM

I always hand dry mine when it comes out of the water. I just mix some boat wash with water in a spray bottle, it helps get the spots off that have dried before I get to them and leaves a nice clean look.

This season, every couple weekends out I've been wiping down with Leverage and it is helping the spider crap and spots come off easier and easier. I'm not quite getting the deep shine I'd really like to have from it though. I think I'm going to try PBC Speed Gloss when my Leverage runs out because I've read a lot of good reviews on it lately.

husker_fan 08-31-2013 04:42 PM

+1 for the muratic acid. My walmart didn't have it, but our Tractor Supply did. I mixed it 50/50 with water. Used about a half a washcloth sized piece of terry cloth and wiped it down, then rinsed really well with water. Amazing! I have a new boat now.