The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Alarm when key in accessory position (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/8449-alarm-when-key-accessory-position.html)

kriswd40 07-09-2013 07:31 PM

Alarm when key in accessory position

I have a 2001 Mariah Diablo. If I have the key turned half way between off and running (I'm calling this the accessory position like you would in a car), my CD player will play but there is a constant alarm sound that goes off. It would be nice to be able to listen to music without the engine running but the alarm sound is worse than having the running motor.

Any idea if I can make it so the alarm does not go off while in the accessory position? I guess my other option would be rewiring the CD player so it always stays on but that feels a bit extreme.

Andy b 07-09-2013 09:34 PM

Re: Alarm when key in accessory position

your turning the ignition on (almost).
for the accessory position you need to turn the key one click to port (left) past the off position :wink_thumbup:

scotty2hot 07-10-2013 05:23 PM

I have the same issue on my 93 Talari. I think it's the ignition switch on mine is bad, it's also very hard to turn key. Sometimes alarm stays on after running as well.

mikeyt 07-10-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty2hot (Post 46438)
I have the same issue on my 93 Talari. I think it's the ignition switch on mine is bad, it's also very hard to turn key. Sometimes alarm stays on after running as well.

One of our members sells the original ignition & key assembly. You can get his information here.

And yes, as 'jodilyn' pointed out, if your alarm is staying on then you have a problem other than the ignition switch. The level of the outdrive oil is the first thing i would check.

jodilynn 07-11-2013 03:58 AM

Check the gear oil reservoir is low

kriswd40 07-11-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy b (Post 46394)
your turning the ignition on (almost).
for the accessory position you need to turn the key one click to port (left) past the off position :wink_thumbup:

I wish it were that easy but the key only turns to the right.

I'll check some of these fluid levels. I should mention that the alarm goes off once the boat is running, which I would expect would not be the case if I had low fluid levels.

Andy b 07-11-2013 09:03 PM

Hmm! then your 2001 diablo is different too mine then!
Do you know if the ignition barrel has been changed at some point?

(or it might be a merc/Volvo difference)

kriswd40 07-11-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy b (Post 46509)
Hmm! then your 2001 diablo is different too mine then!
Do you know if the ignition barrel has been changed at some point?

(or it might be a merc/Volvo difference)

I don't have any history of upgrades / changes made to the boat unfortunately. It all looks mostly stock. I have a Merc 4.3 engine, maybe you have a Volvo?

Andy b 07-11-2013 09:22 PM

yes mine is fitted with the 4.3 Volvo, I don't know why they would be different but i'm sure if there is a reason then someone will be along soon to tell why :wink_thumbup:

mikeyt 07-11-2013 09:54 PM

The alarm horn usually comes on as the system is energized just before you start the boat and it should go off once you have started it up. That is normal and if you have a 3 position switch (off-on-run) then it should trigger in the 'on' position. I'm a little surprised at your ignition not turning counter-clockwise (mine does) but possibly someone else here has a similar setup and can comment or as Andy suggested, someone may have already replaced the ignition cylinder. Do u still use an original Mariah key with the logo?