The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Battery chargers (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/7805-battery-chargers.html)

Motoxxx43 02-21-2013 02:42 PM

Battery chargers

Im in the market for a new battery charger. I have been using my little pro honda Optimate 3. Worked great on my motorcycle batteries. I had a battery made in 2001 that was still working strong July/2012 when I sold the bike!! Seems to be working just fine at keeping the deep cycles charged too. I dont need to fast charge like the bass boat batteries need. Thinking about getting the Optimate 6.

What is everyone else using?

TecMate International - OptiMate Battery Chargers - USER: OptiMate 6

ShabahZ280 02-21-2013 03:05 PM

Re: Battery chargers

In the Z250, I replaced the old Batt-Savr maintainer that was originally equipped with the boat, with this one:
ProMariner ProMite 5/5. Products :: Battery Chargers :: ProMite 5/5

On the Z280 I've got a Guest 3-Bank charger.

During the winter, I pull all the batteries out and use a series of these from Harbor Freight. I turn them on and let it charge for 3+ hours once a week to keep everything OK during the colder months.
Battery Float Charger, Automatic

Oregondunes 02-21-2013 03:51 PM

my z302 is equipped with a Guest 3 bank charger too. it's designed to charge separately 2 batteries, but I have it hooked to all 4 and it works just fine.

Motoxxx43 02-21-2013 04:52 PM

With the Guest chargers you just plug into a shore line to charge? I have a connection at my house for that. Was here when I bought it. Just happened to be right where I park the boats too.
For winter I take the batteries out but in season Id like to just have the chargers in the boats and plug the boats in to top off.

ColoradoDiablo 02-21-2013 05:21 PM

Yes Moto , just plug in and forget about them.
Most all the newer charge systems have a built in regulator to detect voltage drop. When the voltage drops to say 11.5v for example the system will kick on to "top off" the battery. After it reaches around 12.4v then it shuts off. It will continue running that cycle until it is unplugged.

Oregondunes 02-21-2013 06:14 PM

Although Ive never had a problem, it's nice when I bring home the boat (from storage), plug it in the night before and all the batteries are in tip top shape the next day. The couple of times Ive moored it in the marina, I plug in as well.

Jgos929 02-22-2013 03:15 AM

I use a battery tender on all my stuff. Works like a champ

Rynovw 02-22-2013 03:48 AM

I run a autocharger system off a firetruck or ambulance cheap to me as we have them laying around but I also know they work great and live in a rough service area under the truck haven't failed us yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Motoxxx43 03-03-2013 06:50 PM

I've been reading into these and am not quite finding the answer I'm looking for. Let's say I am docked for the weekend and have the shore line hooked up. Can I run my electronics like the stereo and lights with these type of chargers running?

Hudson River Steve 03-04-2013 12:44 AM

I run a Guest 3 bank charger on my Z280 and it operates as you describe...it will charge the battery and then cycle on and off once each battery is fully charged. I always leave it connected to the dock and if the bilge pump kicks on or if I am running the stereo it will kick on and charge as soon as the battery voltage drops below a certain point. It works great...the only warning is never operate the charger unless all the batteries are connected. I pulled one of the batteries last year to replace it (after I left the fridge on and forgot to plug in the shore power). The lack of one of the batteries blew up the charger. Luckily I had another Guest charger to replace it.