The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Motor oil... (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/7724-motor-oil.html)

Oregondunes 01-26-2013 04:15 PM

Does that include spark plugs and air filter or fuel filter?

MyOwnBoat 01-27-2013 02:06 PM

I don't think so.

Motoxxx43 01-27-2013 02:18 PM

Re: Motor oil...

That is a pretty big chunk of change for oil and a filter.

Oregondunes 01-27-2013 03:16 PM

you ever seen or replaced your sea pump impeller ?

MyOwnBoat 01-27-2013 03:18 PM

Well, I've never had it serviced and it has 179 hours on it. I'm looking at oil, filters, lube, etc... Trying to determine if I should have a professional do it, or do it myself (?) I take care of my other vehicles myself

MyOwnBoat 01-27-2013 03:38 PM

No sir, but from looking at the manual, I'm beginning to understand their prices. And, considering it's taken me 26 years to finally own my own boat-I do not want to screw it up. ;)

mikeyt 01-27-2013 04:11 PM

I'm guessing their price includes changing the motor and outdrive oil, the oil filter and possibly a fuel separator if you have one installed but the biggest part of the price will be the labor cost to R&R the lower leg of the outdrive when changing the impeller.

All any of these jobs takes is time. Do a online search/youtube search for videos showing how to change your Mercruiser outdrive impeller. IF you can use a set of socket wrenches, it's a fairly simple job that would be difficult to 'screw up' and the price you are quoting for this work is a little expensive. And use the same search for changing the outdrive oil. Again this is a straight forward job. Changing the oil in your Mercruiser engine is no different than changing the oil in a car with the exception that you should consider buying a hand powered or an electric oil vacuum (about $30) so that you can suck the oil out thru the dipstick tube into a large container. Warming the engine oil up first makes that job go easier & using an oil extractor makes much less of a mess.

Oregondunes 01-27-2013 04:56 PM

Still not exactly sure how they get the motor mounted sea pump out to replace the impeller. You'd have to be either be very small (to fit along side the motor in the engine compartment), or have very long arm to reach down that far and work blindly.

Oregondunes 01-27-2013 05:03 PM

My services includes:

Change engine oil and filter
Replace fuel filter
Replace spark plugs after fogging (every 2 years)
Clean K&N air filter
Replace drive fluid
Clean sea skimmer screen
Replace sea pump impeller (every 2 years)
Flush and replace power steering fluid (every 3 years)
Flush and replace power tilt pump/fluid (every 3 years)

Motoxxx43 01-27-2013 06:10 PM

I was thinking myboat meant just oils and filters. Didnt notice the part about the impeller.