The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   '99 Shabah; Water in floor compartment (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/2914-99-shabah-water-floor-compartment.html)

Hausfam 07-07-2009 04:04 AM

'99 Shabah; Water in floor compartment

Hi everyone. We own a 99 Shabah 180. We're only into our 2nd boating season ever...so I'm sure this is a dumb question. This weekend I noticed 2-3 inches of water in the center floor storage compartment of the boat. This isn't rain water...boat stays covered and on the trailer. I also pulled the plug last weekend and drained whatever water was already there. (and yes, the plug was put back in ;) This water accummulated only after 2-3 hours on the lake. I don't know much about bilge pumps, so I know I'll need to check that first. The dashboard has a bilge switch. Should this be on all of the time ? Any other suggestions on things that I should check ? Thanks in advance for your advice...

SEMIJim 07-07-2009 04:18 AM

Re: '99 Shabah; Water in floor compartment

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hausfam (Post 16235)
This water accummulated only after 2-3 hours on the lake. I don't know much about bilge pumps, so I know I'll need to check that first.

No, first you need to find out how the water's getting in. That shouldn't be happening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hausfam (Post 16235)
The dashboard has a bilge switch. Should this be on all of the time ?

No. Only when you want to manually run the bilge pump.

Jim

mariah bob 07-07-2009 05:31 PM

your front under seat cooler drains into that compartment, but that is a lot. make sure the drain between the compartment and the engine well isnt cloged, it should all drain back to the back for the bilge pump to take care of

SEMIJim 07-08-2009 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariah bob (Post 16272)
your front under seat cooler drains into that compartment, but that is a lot. make sure the drain between the compartment and the engine well isnt cloged, it should all drain back to the back for the bilge pump to take care of

LOL! I wondered why that "storage compartment" wasn't carpeted, like the others, and why it had a drain in it! It's a flippin' cooler!

Lord, I'm slow sometimes. :p

Drains right into the bilge via the ski locker, eh? Well, I suppose that won't hurt the metal-and-plastic oars or boat hook I've got in there.

Jim

94z190talari 07-10-2009 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEMIJim (Post 16291)
Drains right into the bilge via the ski locker, eh? Well, I suppose that won't hurt the metal-and-plastic oars or boat hook I've got in there.

Jim

You need to prop that lid open when you leave the boat or it will get a little slimy! My ski storage compartment has never drained very well. Even had the dealer try and unclog it but it still sits in that compartment.:shakehead:

dmg5606 07-10-2009 01:28 AM

dont know bout other models, but my 96' shabah cooler drains out tha side of tha boat. that much water in tha boat i would be checking towards tha back of the boat. garboard seal , boots etc... i would check and see if tha float switch works on the bilge pump if your has it. just my 2 cents

gjackson78 08-30-2009 03:02 PM

We've had similar problems on our 2001 202 Shabah as well. Believe everyone when they say it can get real skunky/slimy.