The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Magic Erasers (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/253-magic-erasers.html)

moondance100 08-26-2007 01:49 PM

Magic Erasers

I bought a package of Mr Clean magic erasers a few days ago. I don't quite know how tese things work, but they WORK! I went over areas that I had cleaned and scrubbed with all sorts of cleaners and when I used the eraser, more dirt came up!

Try some!

Z 202 08-26-2007 03:37 PM

What areas in particular are you cleaning? Are you using them on the hull?

mikeyt 08-26-2007 03:42 PM

The Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work best on the vinyl areas. I've used them for a couple of years now & found they were great at getting rid of dirt & stains.

moondance100 08-26-2007 04:41 PM

I use it on the vinyl. I "thought" it was already clean, but when I used that eraser, they looked much whiter than the "unerased" areas. I'm a believer!

MariahShabah3.0 08-27-2007 12:47 AM

I read this thread and went out today armed with a magic eraser. It was like day and night but I made sure to go heavy on the protectant after since the eraser is like ultra-fine sandpaper.

moondance100 08-27-2007 01:09 AM

yeah, I"m thinking the same thing...heavy on the protectant! But it cleans, don't it??

MariahShabah3.0 08-27-2007 01:24 AM

I could have been on a commercial after finishing half of the engine compartment!

ShabahZ280 08-27-2007 01:37 PM

You guys have got me convinced, I'm picking up some next trip to the store! :)

mikeyt 08-27-2007 09:19 PM

i shoooda mentioned that bit about the protectorant :( Definitely make use of it on the vinyl once you are done cleaning cuz the Mr. Clean pads tend to dry out the vinyl. The protectorant will help it stay clean longer too!

Z 202 08-28-2007 01:05 AM

I'm sold. I had the boat out of the water for a little TLC and I put the magic erasers to the test. I couldn't believe the "new" look of the vinyl. The white became much whiter, and the green became much more vibrant.

I think the first mate will be impressed. :D

180diablo 08-28-2007 02:15 PM

I have some " Slimy Grimy " spray stuff that I still have to get around to using on my vinyl. Mostly its the bow seats that are a bit funky looking. But after reading the posts, I may have to get the erasers!

Project this long weekend ...... to work on my boat !

180diablo 10-01-2007 02:54 PM

Wow .. they do work!

My girlfriend and I tried out a package of the "normal" Magic Erasers on the weekend ... :eek_animated: ... the dirt/grime that was coming up was crazy!

We scrubbed the cup holder shelf areas and wow, they came out white again. We had thought they were already white enough.. NOPE ... whiter now!.

Ski locker .. omg.. it attacked it and it is "almost" new looking again.

Under dash speaker wall ... above the speakers had some grime... not anymore!

Fenders ... I have new ones again! Get this, when they were rubbing up against the dock in the slip.. they were actually squeaking!

Side vinyl clear windows ... They are actually clean and clear again. No more mould spots on them.

Bow seats .... well the erasers were no match for the grime on there. Slimy Grimy spray wouldnt even remove the stains. So it seems like they are permanent.

I was definately impressed with the outcome. However, we ran out of time for giving the vinyl a coat of protectant. So we may head north again to do some more cleaning. I would also like to inspect the hull for any damage.

Thanks for the tip Moondance!

Z275 10-01-2007 06:23 PM

I found the magic erasers especially usefull on fiberglass. On a few areas where encounters with the dock left plastic/rubber residue on the hull the erasers took it right off with little effort. Also on my swim deck there are some scratches that always retain dirt that no amount of scrubbing would ever get out. The erases cleaner it perfectly in one pass and you can't even see the scratches now.
Pretty amazing cleaning tool!

Z 202 10-01-2007 09:56 PM

Yeah they work great on just about everything. I had spots on the fiberglass where the cockpit cover snaps are located along the top of the swim platform. Scrubbing with all kinds of things didn't do much, but the erasers took them right off.

The wife as impressed with my handiwork on the interior. She claims I shaved several years off the boats "apparent age". :wink_thumbup:

moondance100 10-02-2007 12:31 AM

Maybe we could get some cash from Mr Clean for endorsements!

mikeyt 10-02-2007 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z 202 (Post 1793)
The wife as impressed with my handiwork on the interior. She claims I shaved several years off the boats "apparent age". :wink_thumbup:

Maybe i should try one of those erasers on my gray hair. Hopefully it will shave a fews years off my 'apparent age". :rolling_laugh:

180diablo 10-02-2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z275 (Post 1786)
I found the magic erasers especially usefull on fiberglass. On a few areas where encounters with the dock left plastic/rubber residue on the hull the erasers took it right off with little effort. Also on my swim deck there are some scratches that always retain dirt that no amount of scrubbing would ever get out. The erases cleaner it perfectly in one pass and you can't even see the scratches now.
Pretty amazing cleaning tool!

Hmmm, I will have to take a lookie at those marks that I have on the lower hull portion as well. I know I have some marks similar to what you have.

180diablo 10-02-2007 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyt (Post 1802)
Maybe i should try one of those erasers on my gray hair. Hopefully it will shave a fews years off my 'apparent age". :rolling_laugh:

Well it worked for Mr. Clean ... dude has no hair ! :rolling_laugh:

dudders 10-08-2007 06:50 AM

Do they make magic erasers BIG enough to fix MikeyT's grey hair??:rolling_laugh:

180diablo 10-11-2007 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudders (Post 1951)
Do they make magic erasers BIG enough to fix MikeyT's grey hair??:rolling_laugh:

http://www.justformen.com/home.shtml

:yes_grin::yes_grin:

mikeyt 10-11-2007 08:40 PM

smart asses......all of you! :yes_grin:

ShabahZ280 10-14-2007 07:13 PM

Back on subject, I gotta hand it to you guys. Whoever figured out the secret with using these things on the boat, I owe a beer. I used them on a few spots, and then thought, hey, there's some mystery marks down the sides that I'll try it on. It really worked wonders on my decals. Tried it in a couple other places, and wow what a difference.

Thanks for the helpful tip guys! :wink_thumbup:

Mariah Z276 10-22-2007 05:21 AM

Try them on the hull. Goodby lake scum! These are a boaters best friend.

MariahMX20 05-02-2008 07:06 PM

i have been using these things for years on my brite white interior. it is by far the bast thing ever for cleaning your seats!!!!!! 10 thumbs up, if i had 10 thumbs

180diablo 05-02-2008 08:33 PM

yep!

and that explains why there is 3 pages of chat :)

Mariah_in_636 05-28-2008 02:33 AM

OK. You guys have me on the hook. I will be trying it out on Saturday. Ill try to post before and after pics if there is a noticable difference.

moondance100 05-28-2008 10:13 AM

I used em again this spring and keep some on the boat! They do great on everything. Keep in mind anyplace you use them on the hull, they also take the wax right off too!!

Z 202 05-28-2008 02:56 PM

Try them on your ski locker door. It'll look brand new! :wink_thumbup:

vkrishan 05-29-2008 12:15 AM

I learnt that a single seat can use up one pad... I'd suggest the dual (one side foam, the other side magic eraser) magic erasers... They have a better grip..

Alternatively, try to get the magic eraser pad replacements for the mops... they're a bit rigid and easy to hold too...

z275st 05-29-2008 03:44 AM

I used one for the first time today to take a black scuff of the hull that I even tried a razorblade on. Worked like magic!:yes_grin: It did cut the high gloss a little, but waxing brought it back. I wonder what the grit rating is? I’m sold on’em

djmccormick 06-14-2008 12:45 PM

Awesome

I use a product called Awesome from Dollar General and it has always done a Great Job on the Vinyl inside of the boat, but have never used it on the outside.
Best Part, it only costs $1 for a bottle.

After using the Magic Eraser on the Hull, what protectant do you recommend?

I have a spot on the Port and Starboard Lowers aft section that looks real yellowish. No one ever sees this area when its in the water, or on the trailer, but I know its there and its driving me nuts :) (Short Trip).

I will try the Majic Eraser and let you know what happens.

:)

Z 202 06-15-2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djmccormick (Post 7923)
After using the Magic Eraser on the Hull, what protectant do you recommend?

Myself and others on here have had great results with Meguiars products. I've used the Flagship Marine Wax on areas I've cleaned up with the magic erasers.

djmccormick 06-16-2008 03:03 AM

Vinyl

WOW, I was so amazed when I took your suggestion using the Magic Eraser on the Vinyl, Here I thought it was clean, I couldn't believe my eyes.

I owe someone a case of beer for that suggestion.

Ok so you use Meguiars on the exterior, what do you suggest using on the Vinyl and using good ole Magic Erasers ?

I would use Armor All, but if it were to sit in the sun for any mength of time, I am afraid the vinyl would crack.

My Boat is in the Garage during the Boating Season, doens't make the First Mate too happy, but we deal with it :), and she Loves Me :wink_thumbup:

Z 202 06-16-2008 01:23 PM

I used Meguiars vinyl cleaner/conditioner after I finished with the magic erasers. Apply it liberally.

Like you, I was amazed at how rich and bright the colour looked after I was done cleaning it.

I've never been a big fan of Armour All protectorant. I think over the long run it does more harm than good.

Mariah_in_636 06-21-2008 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z 202 (Post 7938)
Myself and others on here have had great results with Meguiars products. I've used the Flagship Marine Wax on areas I've cleaned up with the magic erasers.

First. The magic eraser did a good job of cleaning my upholstry but the pictures didn't show a huge difference. Its quite noticible though if you are looking for it. As for tghe ski locker and foot storage doors.................... still have to try that.

After you put your wax on, try the Turtle Wax "ICE" to get that glistening shine. I was very surprised with the results.

djmccormick 06-21-2008 12:36 PM

Magic Eraser

I saw a huge difference in mine, but have allot more to clean.

I finally found the Meguiers Cleaner/Conditioner at a place in Imperial, MO, for 9.99 versus 14.99 on line, I was prety happy with that find.

bpfirrman 06-23-2008 04:32 AM

I tried the erasers on the ski locker and it did nothing. The texture of the locker door just disintegrated the eraser with no results. Still looking for the solution, unless the marks are permanent.

ShabahZ280 06-23-2008 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpfirrman (Post 8127)
I tried the erasers on the ski locker and it did nothing. The texture of the locker door just disintegrated the eraser with no results. Still looking for the solution, unless the marks are permanent.

I've used them on my non-skid covered areas, and while yes, it does disintegrate the pad quickly, it still does a great job. And for the areas which won't come clean, I use a stiff bristled brush with some boat wash. If that won't do it, I'd say it's permanent!

ChicagoWeb 07-08-2008 01:34 AM

Tried the Magic Erasers and I really thought this is the product that they should be selling on those TV infomercials... It was truly MAGIC! It took all of the crap off the seats and they are like new again... I am truly amazed... I then put the Vinyl seal from Meguiers on and it is perfect. It took us 5 to get all the seats and areas clean. Make sure to keep a hose close to wash off the eraser after a minute or so to get more life out of it.

Thanks for the tip!

Gary Black 07-16-2008 05:56 PM

Magic Erasers, are amazing, the white seats on my boat came up like new with the minimum of effort, they really are amazing, thanks for the advice.

What is the best product for polishing the gel coat on my boat, at present l have used Auto Glym form my car cleaning materials but l am sure you guys will know of a better product for the boat?

Cheers,

Gary