The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   need help with tow rope hook (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/1393-need-help-tow-rope-hook.html)

bpfirrman 07-05-2008 05:43 PM

need help with tow rope hook

Not sure the technical term but my hook for attaching the ski rope is loose. Upon investigating it is missing one of the bolts and the backing plate. Does anyone know what size bolt it uses? How in the heck am I supposed to get back there to screw the bolt on?
Hopefully someone has had to tighten these bolts and can offer some guidance, otherwise there will be no tubing for me!

bdbyrnes 07-06-2008 06:01 AM

I recently installed a stereo remote just above the folding ladder so I know you can get to the tow rope hook area. My suggestion would be to grab a friend and have them hold the hook while you take out the other bolt... use it to size and by a new stainless bolt, a few washers and use a dab of loctite.

Without my first mate I would have never been able to install my stereo remote, so I would definitely not tackle alone; I can visualize the lone bolt dropping into the bilge area.

bpfirrman 07-07-2008 01:38 AM

Problem is I cannot get to the hook from the back. I have the carpeted box the surrounds the engine which makes it impossible to get back there. I took a look at your pictures and my engine compartment is similar to yours but mine also has a top piece that covers the engine from front to back. Did you remove yours? The only way I can think to get to it is the take apart the box or remove the batteries and try and access it from the starboard side. The port side has the blower and hoses so I cannot get to it from there.

bdbyrnes 07-07-2008 03:59 AM

Oh, got it... I have a "bpx' around the engine that is really carpeted sides and a net to the front of the belt assembly. This may sound like a stupid question but are there stainless screws that hold down the cover? Knowing how well Mariah engineered everything I am guessing it won't be that easy and the screws are hidden!

bdbyrnes 07-07-2008 03:59 AM

Oops - 'Box' not bpx....

indykoch 07-07-2008 01:14 PM

You should be able to fold the rear bench seat forward, then be able to completely remove the whole "box" assembly. It's held by 2 plastic "tracks" on the floor and 2 along the rear edge of the box. Be careful, it's a bit flimsy.

Now I feel a bit bad for complaining to the maintenance guy that took the box apart. I told him he should have been able to see how everything comes out (without tools or disassembling everything).

There are 4 screws holding the top of the box to the sides. But I wouldn't take them out. It doesn't help nearly as much as folding the bench and removing the whole thing.

ShabahZ280 07-07-2008 02:54 PM

When mine goes in for service, they always just remove the top of the carpeted box with the 4 screws attached on the top. Can you post a pic of your setup so we can try and help you out?

bpfirrman 07-07-2008 03:11 PM

I think Indy may have the right idea. I did notice the metal tracks at the base of my box, I should be able to slide it out leaving the top piece attached to the sides for support. With that removed I should have enough room to squeez back there somehow. I will probably just take my wrenches to the one screw that is left and whatever size fits it is what size nut I need. It will still be really tight but I should be able to access it once the box is removed. I will try and take some pics and let you know how it goes.

ShabahZ280 07-07-2008 03:33 PM

Be sure and put a backing plate on there, if you don't still have the original one. It'll rip that ski hook right out if you don't! You can fab one up from any spare sheet of metal, just as long as it's about 1/8" thick.

bpfirrman 07-07-2008 04:26 PM

Short of fabricating a backing plate, would a few large(2") washers do the trick? If not I am sure I can come up with something.