The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Trim Up issue - comes and goes (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/12311-trim-up-issue-comes-goes.html)

Towers1538 05-07-2019 04:22 PM

Trim Up issue - comes and goes

In prepping my 95 Barchetta for the season, I found that the Trim-Up does not work. It did worked prior to winterizing. Trim-Down & Trailer-Trim work just fine. I had a guy come over to look at it. He started by taking out the throttle control box to check the actual up/down switch in the handle. He checked the connections, replacing a few bullets. Trim-Up started working. He adjusted the trim limit, and it seemed fine. The next day it stopped working.

I’ve been waiting for two weeks for another mechanic to come by. I decided to follow the instructions in the Trouble Shooting Sticky on this site. I confirmed that the trim limit switch leads had continuity. Cleaned the bullet contacts. The Trim-Up started working again. I lowered the front of trailer to raise outdrive, to be able to lower it all the way and test full range. Trim-Up stopped working again. Any ideas, thoughts?

mikeyt 05-07-2019 09:19 PM

Re: Trim Up issue - comes and goes

First thing i would consider doing is cleaning the contacts on the trim solenoid. If that doesn't solve the problem then i would assume the solenoid is failing.

Towers1538 05-07-2019 09:52 PM

But if the Trailer-Trim and the Trim-Up are on the same solenoid, wouldn't both fail at the same time?

Towers1538 05-07-2019 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towers1538 (Post 65584)
But if the Trailer-Trim and the Trim-Up are on the same solenoid, wouldn't both fail at the same time?

I decided to check the trim limit switch. The wires seem to be in good condition. I took the cover off of the trim limit switch, and found the copper center piece broken at the screw. I secured it under the screw, and now it works. I will get it replaced as soon as a mechanic is available. In the meantime, can someone tell me the upper and lower limits of the trim? How can I determine the limits?

mikeyt 05-08-2019 12:54 AM

Try this site for the trim adjustment; Trim Limit

My understanding of those trim limit switches is that you have to replace them as a unit on an Alpha drive which means you have to feed the wire back thru the outdrive housing and down to the solenoids. It might sound easy but there is a reason that most mechanics recommend removing the outdrive to complete this job. It is a b**** to get that wire thru the housing... There are a few threads on this site about doing that job that way.

No, just because one works wont necessarily mean the other does. On my 180 Shabah, my throttle mounted trim switch is pooched but my trailer trim switch works fine. When tested the solenoid didn't react consistently so I'm replaced it and everything works fine now.

Towers1538 05-08-2019 01:07 AM

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to get a mechanic to fix it but I guess he's got bigger, priority jobs (more money). Didn't come today, as schedule, and not returning my calls.