The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Dash Gauge Lights Out (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/1192-dash-gauge-lights-out.html)

Roger Butterfield 05-28-2008 07:49 PM

Dash Gauge Lights Out

Hi Everyone:

1999 - Z280

None of my gauge lights illuminate when I flip my nav lights on for the evening. I tried looking behind the dash for a fuse box or breaker but cannot locate one. My depth gauge illuminates but that may be b/c it is wired into one of the toggle switches. Turning the dimmer switch both ways doesn't help either.

Any suggestions will be most appreicated.

Thanks,

Roger

bdbyrnes 05-28-2008 07:56 PM

Roger-

Same problem I am having I am going to work on it this weekend and will let you know what I find out....

Brent

ShabahZ280 05-28-2008 07:57 PM

Sounds like the dimmer module might be malfunctioning. I can't imagine you'd lose all the lights at once. The illumination circuit is one connection that is just wired in series with all the gauges. It's the blue wire. I'd try and track it down to find the dimmer module. Or maybe check the dimmer switch and make sure the contacts are in good shape. It just seems very unusual that the entire dash illumination would go bad at once, but it is possible.

Let us know what you can find out, and we'll try and help!

Roger Butterfield 05-28-2008 08:01 PM

Thanks Brent and Chris:

I saw in a previous post that somehow holding down the dimmer switch apparently turns them on but I never had to do that before. My dimmer switch is actually a rotating knob (right to left). I hate these type of problems :-)

Roger

Mariah_in_636 05-28-2008 09:04 PM

No fuses?

I saw that you looked for a fuse panel but werent able to find one. I was recently under my dash and found that I have TWO mini fuse panels neither of which I knew about prior.

Maybe one is hidden? Dimmer knob? Thats fancy. I don't think I have that on my boat.

Roger Butterfield 05-28-2008 09:22 PM

Oddly enough, the wiring diagram shows:

Fuse Panel (Red + Gnd-10)
FusePnlDrops (Multi)

To access under the dash I have to remove panels from the bathroom area (tight fit) but I swear I couldn't locate anything that looks like a fuse panel.

Roger

S.L.P. 05-29-2008 11:27 PM

Roger,
In the aft cabin of my Z260 there is a small hatch directly beneath the dash. Inside is a DC fuse panel. I do not recall if the dimmer circuit is in this panel, it may be. If I get a chance I will look tonight.
steve

Roger Butterfield 05-30-2008 04:59 PM

Thanks Steve - Someone brought to my attention that the dimmer switch may be the culprit; that I need to get a voltmeter and test for power coming to the switch and power going out of the switch. I may just take out the switch and splice the wires together and have nice bright lights all the time.

Roger

Mariah_in_636 05-30-2008 08:11 PM

Roger,

On my 252 the storage on the stbd side of the boat directly in front of the helm has a removable section. Upon removing that you gain access to the sterring cables, wiring for the gauges radio etc. I looked in there and saw the two small 4"x6" fuse panels with mini fuses.

Maybe you have a removable panel similar to that to check behind?

Good luck.

bdbyrnes 05-31-2008 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Butterfield (Post 7356)
Thanks Steve - Someone brought to my attention that the dimmer switch may be the culprit; that I need to get a voltmeter and test for power coming to the switch and power going out of the switch. I may just take out the switch and splice the wires together and have nice bright lights all the time.

Roger

Roger-

You could also splice them into your 'courtesy lights' switch or your 'transom lights switch.'

I am going to give that a try on mine....

Brent