The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Magic Spark Plug Wrench (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/11637-magic-spark-plug-wrench.html)

Scottie1961 07-14-2017 04:10 PM

Magic Spark Plug Wrench

OK, it's not really magic but boy I found a spark plug socket that seems to work really well on my 5.7 Mercruiser. I've got several different tools including a T-handle socket wrench and assorted sockets. They all seem to have the same issue with binding against the bottom of the manifold. I worked a couple of plugs out using assorted tools and went to Oreilly's to get new plugs. Just by chance I looked in the tool section and saw a 5/8" (they have other sizes) plug socket with built in knuckle joint. I thought what the heck I'll give it a shot.
This thing really worked like magic. I got the other two plugs out quickly and then changed the four on the other side in about 5 minutes. I started all the plugs with a rubber hose going back in but used the new socket to snug them up. The problem with all the other sockets I have is the five sided wrench fitting at the upper end. If you've used them you know what I'm talking about. The points seem to bind up against the manifold and then you're stuck. The decision is always should I keep turning or stop and back off.
This new socket doesn't have those edges and it's a little shorter than the other sockets I have. No guarantees but if you're dreading changing out your plugs but need to change them you might give this little guy a shot. Good luck!!!!

PowerTorque Tools - Spark Plug Socket
Part # GM6225 Line: PTT
https://images.oreillyauto.com/parts...ptt/gm6225.jpg

Firestone 07-14-2017 04:44 PM

Re: Magic Spark Plug Wrench

Dang that does look very useful!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

pllevine 07-14-2017 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottie1961 (Post 63200)
OK, it's not really magic but boy I found a spark plug socket that seems to work really well on my 5.7 Mercruiser. I've got several different tools including a T-handle socket wrench and assorted sockets. They all seem to have the same issue with binding against the bottom of the manifold. I worked a couple of plugs out using assorted tools and went to Oreilly's to get new plugs. Just by chance I looked in the tool section and saw a 5/8" (they have other sizes) plug socket with built in knuckle joint. I thought what the heck I'll give it a shot.
This thing really worked like magic. I got the other two plugs out quickly and then changed the four on the other side in about 5 minutes. I started all the plugs with a rubber hose going back in but used the new socket to snug them up. The problem with all the other sockets I have is the five sided wrench fitting at the upper end. If you've used them you know what I'm talking about. The points seem to bind up against the manifold and then you're stuck. The decision is always should I keep turning or stop and back off.
This new socket doesn't have those edges and it's a little shorter than the other sockets I have. No guarantees but if you're dreading changing out your plugs but need to change them you might give this little guy a shot. Good luck!!!!

PowerTorque Tools - Spark Plug Socket
Part # GM6225 Line: PTT
https://images.oreillyauto.com/parts...ptt/gm6225.jpg

Did you use Anti-Seize compound on the threads and a torque wrench to tighten them to the proper amount?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottie1961 07-14-2017 07:39 PM

No, had a bad experience with anti-seize on spark plugs. I do however use a beam type torque wrench just to get it close.

pllevine 07-14-2017 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottie1961 (Post 63206)
No, had a bad experience with anti-seize on spark plugs. I do however use a beam type torque wrench just to get it close.

What sort of bad experience could you have?

Scottie1961 07-14-2017 07:49 PM

4.6 Ford Triton
Torqued all plugs to specs and within two weeks two plugs worked their way out enough that compression was affected. I know many people have used anti-seize without issues but I change them often enough that it's really not an issue for me. I just like to seize the moment I guess:)

pllevine 07-14-2017 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottie1961 (Post 63208)
4.6 Ford Triton
Torqued all plugs to specs and within two weeks two plugs worked their way out enough that compression was affected. I know many people have used anti-seize without issues but I change them often enough that it's really not an issue for me. I just like to seize the moment I guess:)

You're talking to a guy that owns a 2005 Ford F-150 with the 3V Triton engine. Plugs went in at the factory with no anti-seize. The plugs are two pieces crimped together and they break in half when you pull them out...

Scottie1961 07-14-2017 08:03 PM

Oh yeah, those goofy long spark plugs are a real pain. The 4.6 had a problem with the insulator breaking during removal, but that was on the outside thankfully! I've heard horror stories of guys trying to get the bottom half of the plug out of the head on the 5.4.

Firestone 07-14-2017 08:05 PM

Yeah has 3 break in my Lincoln Navigator. $600 to change the plugs. Now have one piece plugs

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Scottie1961 07-14-2017 08:13 PM

It seemed like a good idea at the time to some engineer in the R&D department.