The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Replaced battery, now speedometer not working (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/11605-replaced-battery-now-speedometer-not-working.html)

robborobborobbo 07-07-2017 01:40 AM

Replaced battery, now speedometer not working

I replaced my battery and on the first run out over the 4th, my speedo isn't working. Any quick hints for me to check.

I have some other wiring/electrical issues like my 12V plugs not working too, so I was going to bring into the the shop for an electrical work in the off season. But was hoping that this speedo issue might be a quick fix during the season.

robborobborobbo 07-07-2017 01:45 AM

Re: Replaced battery, now speedometer not working

Me again...also, where do i find the circuit breakers in 1996 shabah. Thanks!

pllevine 07-07-2017 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robborobborobbo (Post 63011)
I replaced my battery and on the first run out over the 4th, my speedo isn't working. Any quick hints for me to check.

I have some other wiring/electrical issues like my 12V plugs not working too, so I was going to bring into the the shop for an electrical work in the off season. But was hoping that this speedo issue might be a quick fix during the season.

The speedometer isn't an electrical device, unless you changed to a GPS based speedometer. It works by water pressure hitting the front of the lower drive. There is a small notch/hole in it and the water is forced into a small hose that runs up the stern drive and all the way to the back of the speedometer. Check to see if the hole or the hose is clogged.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robborobborobbo 07-07-2017 12:29 PM

Awesome. thanks! so it operates like an airspeed indicator on my plane. that is very interesting.

pllevine 07-07-2017 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robborobborobbo (Post 63028)
Awesome. thanks! so it operates like an airspeed indicator on my plane. that is very interesting.

It's so close, I sometimes call that hole in the front of a stern drive "the pitot tube"....
Just instead of air, it's water....
They have a really bad history of clogging up. Mine wasn't working, so this forum told me to use a tiny drill bit and twist it BY HAND into the hole and try to clear out whatever was blocking it. It worked and my speedo is accurate to GPS matched speed.

robborobborobbo 07-07-2017 09:28 PM

Sweet. Thanks again!

tbrookens 07-09-2017 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pllevine (Post 63041)
It's so close, I sometimes call that hole in the front of a stern drive "the pitot tube"....
Just instead of air, it's water....
They have a really bad history of clogging up. Mine wasn't working, so this forum told me to use a tiny drill bit and twist it BY HAND into the hole and try to clear out whatever was blocking it. It worked and my speedo is accurate to GPS matched speed.

Maybe you need to check the pitot heat?

robborobborobbo 07-09-2017 02:53 PM

Took the boat out on the river yesterday and it is back up and working!

pllevine 07-09-2017 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robborobborobbo (Post 63076)
Took the boat out on the river yesterday and it is back up and working!

Did you clear it or was it self healing?

robborobborobbo 07-09-2017 02:57 PM

I cleared it with a small drill bit like you said.