The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Discoloration on hull along waterline (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/10371-discoloration-hull-along-waterline.html)

yamahaR6 07-24-2015 12:49 AM

Discoloration on hull along waterline

I have some Discoloration on lower hull at stern and along waterline. Any tips on how to remove? I tried acetone on a small area that was partially successful in removing it but was concerned that it might damage the gelcoat. Boat is only used on freshwater lake. Never left in water overnight. 1994 Talari.

Thanks for your help.

99 Mariah 258 07-24-2015 01:00 AM

Re: Discoloration on hull along waterline

I just wet sanded and buffed my boat it looks amazing. Watched a bunch of YouTube before I did it

ShabahZ280 07-24-2015 04:06 AM

Most marine stores will carry a hull cleaner solution. Many of them use oxalic acid, which is great at removing the scum line and stains from the hull. It's some strong stuff, so make sure and wear some gloves, and cover your trailer if you're applying while it's on the trailer! But, it should take off some of the worst waterline stains. I leave mine in the water from May-November, and the stains outside of my antifouling bottom paint come right off with the oxalic acid hull cleaner!

Here's what I've used previously.
Bass Pro Shops Heavy-Duty Hull Cleaner | Bass Pro Shops

West Marine, Starbrite, and others make similar cleaners. Just look for the oxalic acid on the ingredient list! :)

yamahaR6 07-27-2015 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you for the help. I attached a pic of the discoloration mentioned. Do you think the cleaners you mentioned would work on this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShabahZ280 (Post 57440)
Most marine stores will carry a hull cleaner solution. Many of them use oxalic acid, which is great at removing the scum line and stains from the hull. It's some strong stuff, so make sure and wear some gloves, and cover your trailer if you're applying while it's on the trailer! But, it should take off some of the worst waterline stains. I leave mine in the water from May-November, and the stains outside of my antifouling bottom paint come right off with the oxalic acid hull cleaner!

Here's what I've used previously.
Bass Pro Shops Heavy-Duty Hull Cleaner | Bass Pro Shops

West Marine, Starbrite, and others make similar cleaners. Just look for the oxalic acid on the ingredient list! :)

yamahaR6 07-27-2015 01:33 PM

Thank you for responding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 Mariah 258 (Post 57438)
I just wet sanded and buffed my boat it looks amazing. Watched a bunch of YouTube before I did it

ShabahZ280 07-31-2015 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yamahaR6 (Post 57466)
Thank you for the help. I attached a pic of the discoloration mentioned. Do you think the cleaners you mentioned would work on this?

I think they would work on that. The only real way to find out is to try! The store brands (bass pro, west marine, etc) are only about $10/bottle, so I'd say it'd be well worth the cost just to test! :)

mmckenzie6 07-31-2015 05:22 PM

The other thing to remember is that you will need to wax these areas really well when you're done removing the stain.

Otherwise, it'll be stained again after your first trip.

yamahaR6 08-04-2015 06:49 PM

Thank you. I will give it a try and post some after pics.

yamahaR6 08-04-2015 06:50 PM

Thank you. I will be sure to do that...though the water on our lake is crystal clear so hopefully this won't happen again.