The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat/Off-Topic (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/chit-chat-off-topic/)
-   -   Radio Speakers (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/chit-chat-off-topic/939-radio-speakers.html)

Douglas Alderman 04-06-2008 01:51 AM

Radio Speakers

I want to install new speakers in the boat. What is meant by coaxial 2-way. My new radio is can handle 4 speakers!

mikeyt 04-06-2008 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Alderman (Post 5374)
I want to install new speakers in the boat. What is meant by coaxial 2-way. My new radio is can handle 4 speakers!

A co-axial 2 way speaker has a woofer & a tweeter while a 3 way speaker has a woofer, midrange and a tweeter. As a basic explanation; a 2-way speaker's crossover splits the frequency band into two ranges: bass frequencies go to the woofer, and treble frequencies go to the tweeter. In a 3-way system, the frequency band is divided into three ranges. The middle frequencies are sent to a third driver commonly referred to as the midrange. 3 Way speakers tend to cost more than 2 way speakers and may have slightly better sound.

When you go to buy speakers you will need to know what size and shape your cutouts are, what the impedance load (i think they are usually either 4 or 8 ohms) for the deck is and what the wattage output your deck has. I would suggest that you take that information with you when you go visit your local stereo shop and buy your marine speakers. That way they can set you up with the proper speakers within the budget you have to spend.

Some of the other owners here have done the stereo upgrade stuff and can advise you on speaker types. Polk Momo's are excellent but a little pricey, I have 4 Bazooka marine speakers in mine that cost about $125 ea and they sound good. There are lots of options out there so hopefully others will chime in here. Everything depends though on how much $$$ you want to spend.

Did i miss anything guys? :)

Douglas Alderman 04-06-2008 03:35 AM

Radio Speakers

Thanks for the reply! I just didn't know what the difference was. The boat had an electrical mess on board. Wires everywhere. Just glad the boat starts! Original radio in the boat had a car radio in it. Didn't come with face plate. Going to try the flash light battery trick. Touching each end and listen for clicking sound to locate correct wires to each speaker. :wink_thumbup:

mikeyt 04-06-2008 04:06 PM

Hi Doug

Mariah always labeled their wires and followed the same colour code patterns throughout all of their boats. It should be a fairly simple matter to trace but we do have manuals & wiring diagrams for contributing members use. Click on "Donate" above and all will be explained.

Douglas Alderman 04-06-2008 07:05 PM

Radio Speakers

Haven't started yet, installing speakers. They are on Order. We live in a small town where Walmart is considered the Mall here. They don't carry marine speakers.