The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat/Off-Topic (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/chit-chat-off-topic/)
-   -   Carnival Triumph (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/chit-chat-off-topic/7801-carnival-triumph.html)

mikeyt 02-19-2013 12:10 AM

Carnival Triumph

Just curious.......do you think any of the passengers had a cabin on the poopdeck? :blink:

ColoradoDiablo 02-19-2013 12:56 AM

Re: Carnival Triumph

Sounds like it was a sticky.....I mean stinky situation for 4-5 days. LOL
I see many lawyers in Carnivals future :)
Think I'll just keep flying. At least I'll make it to the crash site.:rolling_laugh:

mikeyt 02-19-2013 01:33 AM

We took a cruise on the Triumph with our two boys way back in 2002 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Food was good, ports and itinerary choices were okay, boys had lots to do, no problems with annoying passengers, weather was perfect and facilities were decent. But that was 10 yrs ago. I think though if we were gonna do another cruise we would step up to a smaller cruise line like Holland America/Celebrity etc pr maybe even one of the European river cruisers like Viking. 3000+ passengers crammed onto one ship just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

I can imagine though that for every 5 people waiting on the dock for their family members coming off the Triumph there was at least 1 scumbag lawyer standing there looking to make some $$.

ShabahZ280 02-19-2013 01:38 PM

I followed the story very closely, and stayed up to watch it come back into port live on CNN.

There was quite a bit of talk on lawsuits, but the general consensus I got from the legal team assembled for CNN's coverage was that the passengers agree to waive all rights to sue Carnival for anything that's deemed their fault, or not. (It's embedded in the fine print of the purchase contract of a ticket). There will be those who insist on their right to sue, and they are free to submit a proposal, which has to be approved by a Carnival appointed moderator to even decide if they have the right to sue. I'm guessing there will not be a lot of successful attempts at legal cases. But I'll bet there's a lot of quiet settlements that we'll never hear of.

Regardless, it is a PR nightmare for Carnival. 2 Ships in their own line within the last year that have had significant problems and had to be towed back to port. Then let's not forget the Costa Concordia, ------ Costa line is also owned by Carnival. :eek_animated:

ColoradoDiablo 02-19-2013 02:52 PM

Ouch!
I didn't realize they owned the Costa Line also.
The poor PR rep for them has got to be eating Rolaids by the case!!

Oregondunes 02-19-2013 06:04 PM

Wow. I can see a maritime inspection in order real soon. Interesting thing is the ship is registered in the Bahamas and its their authority that has to do the investigation.

ShabahZ280 02-19-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregondunes (Post 41774)
...Interesting thing is the ship is registered in the Bahamas and its their authority that has to do the investigation.

Registering the ships outside of the US also means they are exempt from following US Labor Laws, taxes, and many standards of the other regulatory agencies like OSHA, FDA, etc. Think about that for a minute.... Interesting and sneaky at the same time.

Just FYI Carnival Corporation owns:

AIDA Cruises, Germany
Carnival Cruise Lines, United States
Costa Cruises, Italy
Cunard Line, United Kingdom
Holland America Line, United States
Ibero Cruises, Spain
P&O Cruises, United Kingdom
P&O Cruises Australia, Australia
Princess Cruises, United States
Seabourn Cruise Line, United States

Andy b 02-19-2013 09:38 PM

Their European HQ is here in Southampton, I drive past it almost every day. Better watch out in case it starts raining PR reps :shakehead:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21465387

ShabahZ280 03-14-2013 08:19 PM

Now, I just read they had a similar incident on their ship the "Carnival Dream", which is now docked in St. Maarten. Supposedly lost power, onboard sanitation (toilets), and all 4300 passengers on board were just asked to leave......They were on the 6th day of their 7 day cruise, and were given airfare back home, they supposedly will receive a refund equivalent to three days of the voyage and 50 percent off a future cruise.

It was scheduled to depart again on the 16th again, which has now been cancelled. Guests registered on that cruise will receive a full refund and 25 percent off a future seven-day cruise. Guests who re-book will have their current rate protected on the future sailing. Additionally, any non-refundable transportation related expenses will be reimbursed.

Man........ Carnival needs to get their stuff together! :rolleyes:

mikeyt 03-15-2013 03:12 AM

Yep, Sh!t happens and its happening all over Carnival right now.... :shakehead: