Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

3D what?

Chit Chat/Off-Topic

Old 04-17-2010, 11:32 PM   #1

WetWilly is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1996
My Model: Z240 Talari
My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
a Private Message

Default 3D what?

Being an owner of several Samsung products, I get periodical updates on new product development. As such, I have known the they were one of the premiere leaders in bringing 3D to the home for quite some years. All of their DLP sets are 3d capable and now, they have created flat screens with the same capabilities, just awesome.

Ok, so what's my point... I came across this item today and, well here, read it yourself:

Among consumer electronics companies, no one has made a bigger commitment to rolling out 3D TVs than Samsung. However, the company has now posted a web page on its Australian site (but nothing yet here in the U.S.) that warns that certain people might find the 3D viewing experience just a bit too intense. Between the list of individuals who should avoid watching 3D TV images, and the possible side effects of watching those images anyway, you'd think you're about to step onto a hyper-extreme ride at a theme park rather than just watching TV on your couch. Samsung flat out states that viewers with serious medical conditions -- as well as the elderly, the pregnant, the tired and even the inebriated -- should avoid watching 3D. The company also says that children and teenagers are especially susceptible to adverse health effects, and should be closely monitored by adults when viewing 3D images. The list of the possible health effects is almost as terrifying as the latest slasher flick. They include altered vision, light-headedness, involuntary eye or muscle twitching, disorientation, nausea, cramps and convulsions. Other potential side effects include motion sickness, perceptual after-effects and decreased postural stability (in other words, the tendency to fall down). Helpfully, we guess, Samsung also states that because of possible disorientation, 3D TVs should not be placed near hazards such as balconies or open stairwells. By the way, concerns about 3D viewing are nothing new. Experts have long said that 3D viewing in general can lead to unpleasant side effects because they force the eyes and the brain to work in ways that aren't completely natural. That's not a problem for many viewers, but as this article in Business Week points out, a good number of people -- around 30 percent -- have vision issues that make them more susceptible to headaches, eye strain, motion sickness and the like.

Well there you have it, so I was wondering if Dudders or one of our other Aussie mates could explain why they added this, "3D TVs should not be placed near hazards such as balconies or open stairwells.".

WetWilly
  • Old 08-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #2

Dutch180SE is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1998
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3LX Alpha I gen II
    Gallery Images: 2

Send Dutch180SE:
    a Private Message

Default Re: 3D what?

Did you allready watched it Willy ? My brother has a Samsung 3D tv and it maked my eyeballs freak out for hours after i left his place
    Old 08-20-2010, 02:42 AM   #3

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Any of the 3D TV's I've seen so far haven't impressed me. While the cost of the TV's are only slightly higher than HD units, the cost of the mandatory glasses is ridiculous. I stood watching a couple of high end units at our local Best Buy last weekend & i guess i'm one of the 30% who are affected. It left me feeling just a little queasy...
    Old 08-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #4

Dutch180SE is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1998
    My Engine: 4.3LX Alpha I gen II
    Gallery Images: 2

Send Dutch180SE:
    a Private Message

Weird isnt it.. You would say that a ''big invention" like 3D would sell for top dollars but there actually really fair priced. I bought my 52'' Philips Ambilight like 6 months ago and the biggest 3D was actually almost a grand cheaper
    I still love my Philips, havent regret a minut prefering it to 3D..

And what's weird too, children under the age of 8 are not ''allowed'' to watch 3D because the musscles of the eye are not full-grown yet ( logic if there 8 years old, but i can understand the meaning of it ) and you never hear something about it in proffesional reviews and so..

Conclusion: 3D still makes my eyeballs look the floor & the sky at the same time

Did you allready make a decision Willy ?

Save a tree, eat a beaver..