The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Boating 101 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/)
-   -   New Chartplotter/Fishfinder ????????? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/9732-new-chartplotter-fishfinder.html)

99 Mariah 258 08-14-2014 01:51 AM

New Chartplotter/Fishfinder ?????????

Hello.......
First off I'd like to thank everybody that has responded to all my questions......My first boat and I've learned alot from forums and members input......

About to invest in a chartplotter/fishfinder combo........ I have around $450-$600 to spend...... I'm looking at either a Garmin Echomap 50s Glonass for around $500 and or a Lowrance Elite 7-hdi combo for $560

When I look online there's a ton of reviews ......good and bad.......probably all fake

Any input on these units or something better in my price range......

ColoradoDiablo 08-14-2014 03:46 AM

Re: New Chartplotter/Fishfinder ?????????

Don't know to much about Garmin , but I have run Lowrance fish finders for 10 + yrs on many boats that I have owned.
I now run a Lowrance 522c which is 4 yrs old. I love it!
I would love to have the Elite 7 w/structure scan , they are above and beyond the rest in my opinion , but that cuts into the beverage/gas fund hard.:eek_animated:
I have a garmin nav in my truck and like it also.
I think the Garmin is a better GPS unit , but the Lowrance has the better sonar capabilities.
It's really a preference thing I think.

JMO

mikeyt 08-14-2014 04:02 AM

Oddly enough....this is something i know very little about. :)

The last 'fish finder' I owned ( a Hummigbird Matrix 15) had no idea how to find fish that i could catch....

ColoradoDiablo 08-14-2014 04:24 AM

You just was'nt danglin the right bait mikey!:rolling_laugh:

woodward33 08-18-2014 08:05 PM

I have a Garmin 431s (the Echomap 50s replaced this model) on my boat that I use for GPS and sonor. I am very, very happy with the unit. I owned a Lowrance on my previous boat and what I have noticed more so about the Garmin is that it seems much more user friendly. Easier to find stuff and make it do what I want to. I really like how the folks at Garmin made it fairly easy to use.

I don't think you would be disappointed with the Echomap. When it comes time to replace my 431s, that is no doubt what I'll be getting.

Good luck!

ShabahZ280 08-18-2014 09:12 PM

I'm running a Lowrance Elite-5m. It's a chartplotter, but not a fishfinder combo. It came with the Navionics gold card, which is their top of the line detailed charting card, and it's awesome. If you can, try and find one the with the Navionics Gold included... I can imagine having the card & the fishfinder features together would be pretty sweet for fishing & such... I'm a former Garmin user, and so far I've been very happy with the unit...I agree it's not the most user-friendly, but it's easy once you get the hang of it!

99 Mariah 258 08-19-2014 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShabahZ280 (Post 54967)
I'm running a Lowrance Elite-5m. It's a chartplotter, but not a fishfinder combo. It came with the Navionics gold card, which is their top of the line detailed charting card, and it's awesome. If you can, try and find one the with the Navionics Gold included... I can imagine having the card & the fishfinder features together would be pretty sweet for fishing & such... I'm a former Garmin user, and so far I've been very happy with the unit...I agree it's not the most user-friendly, but it's easy once you get the hang of it!

I saw the combo with the Navionics Gold but I think it shot the price up to the $800+++ zone. Do you know if the basic maps it comes preloaded with are any good?.....Was just thinking about using basic maps until I can upgrade

99 Mariah 258 08-19-2014 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodward33 (Post 54964)
I have a Garmin 431s (the Echomap 50s replaced this model) on my boat that I use for GPS and sonor. I am very, very happy with the unit. I owned a Lowrance on my previous boat and what I have noticed more so about the Garmin is that it seems much more user friendly. Easier to find stuff and make it do what I want to. I really like how the folks at Garmin made it fairly easy to use.

I don't think you would be disappointed with the Echomap. When it comes time to replace my 431s, that is no doubt what I'll be getting.

Good luck!

I read a ton of reviews that say it is more "user friendly". Also read that the 50s has wireless connectivity so you can have a app on your ipad and manage all your waypoints etc... And them load them wirelessly into the 50s. Couldn't find anything on the Lowrance website about it.....I guess I just like the lowrance because of the larger screen......anyhow. I'm looking at a $200-$400 repair for a drive oil leak so got to hold off for now but I appreciate everybodys opinions....thanks again