The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Boating 101 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/)
-   -   Hydrofoil and Smart tabs????? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/6090-hydrofoil-smart-tabs.html)

Jgos929 08-26-2011 06:35 PM

Hydrofoil and Smart tabs?????

My boat came with both do I need both? I've been told by a couple of people that the hydrofoil is pointless. The Smart Tabs I want to keep because there is more involved with installing those.

mikeyt 08-26-2011 07:38 PM

Re: Hydrofoil and Smart tabs?????

We've gone thru this a couple of times on this site. No. Do not use a hydrofoil with Smart Tabs. You will have one unstable boat...so get rid of that ugly hydrofoil and sell it to someone who owns a Bayliner.

Jgos929 08-26-2011 07:41 PM

Thanks Mikey for the help again. Its coming off tomorrow

wplaine 08-27-2011 01:46 AM

Agree 100%

SandyR 08-30-2011 06:13 PM

I have 2 Smart Tabs (attached to rear transom... either side of out drive) on my 20' Mariah (1994) It stopped the porpoising without much decrease in top speed

FYI... running a 21 pitch 3 blade aluminum Michigan prop

BERTICUS 09-23-2011 10:08 PM

OK I admit it i'm a boating novice....here in the midwest,.i'm on my first boat a used but very clean and cared for 94 davanti 205 with a 5.7 merc. i have no desire for a smaller boat and to upgrade as time goes by. Stating that i also have no desire for a bigger boat.. However i want the best for and out of my boat. i have added a 3 blade chrome prop. 19 pitch... it needs a new second battery the first is good. it has a hydrofoil and a swim platform... and is at 20.5 ft i'm told. smart tabs intrigue me and look to be something i'd like to try. from all i've read i should remove the 'foil' if i add the tabs... also the tabs themselves.... it looks like my boat would use the sx 90# but everyone is talking about the 60's vs the 80's # - wise... one last thing the acronyms like otm or something.... confuse me and i can't figure them out... pls help
thanks
Bert

wplaine 09-24-2011 12:48 AM

You can get the 80# tabs and adjust them to be a liittle softer. they have 5 different positions. The company backs them also. I had a "shock" go bad so they sent me two! Get the 80s and adjust them up until you find the balance

mikeyt 09-24-2011 02:46 AM

The SX version with the 80lb actuators should work fine on your boat. As 'wplaine' says, you can fine tune them once mounted & you've done a couple of test runs. Nauticus customer service has been excellent with our members to date.

SandyR 09-25-2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyR (Post 32368)
I have 2 Smart Tabs (attached to rear transom... either side of out drive) on my 20' Mariah (1994) . I'm using the 60 # tabs. It stopped the porpoising without much decrease in top speed

FYI... running a 21 pitch 3 blade aluminum Michigan prop

Engine is 4.3 with 4 barrel carb (180 horse power) I also will use 23" pitch for better top end if I am not skiing

Hope this helps_