The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Boating 101 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/)
-   -   How long can I run my stereo without draining the battery? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/4456-how-long-can-i-run-my-stereo-without-draining-battery.html)

Wakeboarder5272 07-11-2010 10:37 PM

How long can I run my stereo without draining the battery?

Hi everybody,

So everytime that I'm out out with the family or my crew and we're anchored, I always get nervous about running my stereo because I don't want to kill the battery and not be able to get the boat started to get back to the dock. Does anybody know how long I can run my head unit with no worries about killing the battery (I have a Sony marine HU and 4 marine kicker 6 1/2's if that matters)? It would definitely be nice to have some tunes to listen too while we're swimming and chillin.

Thanks,

Rick

indykoch 07-12-2010 10:06 PM

Re: How long can I run my stereo without draining the battery?

Tough question because it depends on a ton of factors. How new is your battery? What is the CCA of the battery? Is it deep cycle? I assume it's single not dual battery set-up?

Assuming a standard marine starting/deep cycle battery with a stereo and no amp, in good condition... I think you're good for at least 3 or 4 hours, probably even 6 or 8. I have 2 batteries in "okay" condition with 2 amps drawing a lot of power and I can run at least 3 or 4 hours without worry.

Hope this helps. Just bring jumper cables and a friends boat, run it all day and see what happens. I'm betting you'll be surprised how little a head unit with 4 speakers pull from the battery. But it's a good thing you're asking and concerned about it - being stranded in the middle of the lake/river is never fun!

rooperdan 07-12-2010 10:50 PM

I can run mine for about 4 hours but i start my boat every hour just to give the battery a little charge. You should also have a second battery just incase.

SEMIJim 07-12-2010 11:21 PM

I've run mine (Plain old Sony radio of some kind, two speakers) for a couple hours or so to no ill effect. We have a brand new battery.

If I was going to be running the stereo for hours at a time regularly, I'd definitely have a two-battery setup: A starting battery, a "house" battery and either an ACR or Echo Charge device.

Jim

Wakeboarder5272 07-13-2010 02:24 AM

Yes it's a standard deep cycle single battery set up with no external amps (yet). I appreciate the advice. I don't think I'll need to run it for anymore then an hour or 2 at a time I should be good to go.

Thanks

SEMIJim 07-13-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wakeboarder5272 (Post 23802)
Yes it's a standard deep cycle single battery set up with no external amps (yet). I appreciate the advice. I don't think I'll need to run it for anymore then an hour or 2 at a time I should be good to go.

If it's a new(-ish) battery that's in good condition and it's fairly well topped-off, charge-wise, with a plain ol' stereo (no amps or subs), you should be good for a couple hours or so.

If you're worried about it, buy a jump box and throw that aboard. Just make sure to follow the manufacturer's recommendations on keeping the jump box up to snuff.

Jim

Z 202 07-20-2010 12:41 AM

Yes. Simple stereos don't chew up too much. I ran repeatedly for several hours at a time last summer and my battery was 6 years old! Wouldn't hold a charge this winter though. I didn't owe me anything at that point.

If you are really worried and you don't have a dual battery setup, just do as I do and carry a portable battery booster. Always good to be prepared. :wink_thumbup:

SuperdaveTX 07-24-2010 09:46 PM

Yeah.. Always start engine after an hour or so is a good idea.

Something else to consider. If you do not have an onboard charger, look into getting one. You just plug your boat in when you get home and it is fully charged when you go out next time and it is easy. Also, this keeps your battery in good shape. My optima lived for over 6 years doing this.

garyg 07-25-2010 03:18 AM

Wakeboarder I have TWO Batteries and switch so you can a back-up for like leaving things on.I switch batteries every time we go out so both battery is used and ready to go. I have had two batteries on my last three boats.There have been many times I was glad to have had them. Thats my 2 cents worth. Gary G