The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Boating 101 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/)
-   -   front ice chest (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/2870-front-ice-chest.html)

DawgDaze 07-01-2009 11:26 PM

front ice chest

Went to the lake today and had a great time with family. I have a 99 214 jubilee and used the front ice chest for the first time. Where does the water go. I cleaned it out this morning with a hose and didnt see water coming out anywhere. When I got back this evenning i took the drain plug out and more water came out than usual. Was think it may just drain in the bottom of the boat seeing how it isnt much when you use ice.

SEMIJim 07-02-2009 12:29 AM

Re: front ice chest

It's pretty common for boat-makers to drain built-in ice chests into the bilge. Our Pearson P30 (sailboat) has a hose coming out the bottom of the built-in ice chest that just lays in the bottom of the engine space. It's plugged on the end, otherwise the water would end-up in the bilge. I don't like any more water in the bilge than necessary, so I manually drain it into a bucket and toss it overboard.

Jim

DawgDaze 07-02-2009 02:32 AM

Thanks Jim. Glad I didn't let the hose run longer. Funny the bilge pump didnt kick on. Will check that this week.

SEMIJim 07-02-2009 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawgDaze (Post 16036)
Thanks Jim. Glad I didn't let the hose run longer. Funny the bilge pump didnt kick on. Will check that this week.

Probably not enough water to trip the switch.

Jim

SEMIJim 07-08-2009 04:37 AM

Confirmed. I checked the bilge pump float switch after I got the bilge pump running. There has to be quite a bit of water in the bilge to trip that float switch.

Jim

DawgDaze 07-08-2009 01:50 PM

Thanks again Jim for looking into that. Maybe I can help you with something one day.

Buddy

Z 202 07-08-2009 04:39 PM

On my 202 the front cooler drains into the bilge. The cooler in the passenger dash drains out the side of the hull.

And my bilge also has to be pretty full to trip the float switch.

daveraymyers 09-29-2009 09:56 PM

Does anyone know where the front ice chest water drains on my 1995 Mariah 190 Talari? I filled the ice chest with drinks and ice on the morning on a pretty hot day, and about 2 hours later went to a lake that has the "no standing water" rule, and there was too much water in my ski locker so they didn't let me in. All was good because we ended up going to another lake that did not have the inspections and had an awesome day!!!

Thanks,
Dave

WetWilly 09-30-2009 09:43 AM

Hi Dave, it should drain down to the keel and flow back to the bilge where you can use the bilge pump or if it's on land, the drain plug.

WetWilly

daveraymyers 10-01-2009 12:30 AM

Hey WetWilly!

Thanks for the info! I'll keep my eye on the ski locker and make sure it drains properly.

-Dave