Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Anchor Review

Boating 101

Old 08-20-2007, 03:20 PM   #1

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1999
My Model: Z280 MCC
My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
a Private Message

Default Anchor Review

After sacrificing my trusty 14lb Danforth to the Mighty Ohio River a few weeks ago, I decided to start searching the next day for a new anchor. I hit all the forums, checking for different pieces of advice on what works and what didn't. I thought of just replacing with another Danforth, but then I stumbled upon this anchor called a "Chene". Basically the same style design, with a slip ring, 1/3 the weight, 1/3 the size, and 1/3 the price. It claimed 4x stronger holding power than a standard fluke anchor. How could that be possible? My boat's heavy, and could even break free from the 14lb Danforth I had before. I was skeptical, but it was $26.99 at the local Bass Pro Shops. If it didn't work, I'm only out a small amount of money. After adding the anchor rope, rode chain, shackles & misc, I was out about $85 total.

I took it out Saturday evening to New Richmond, OH (about 15 miles upstream) for their "Riverdays" Festival, which included cardboard boat races, a festival on the land, and a fireworks display at night. I pulled about 50ft off the shore, and tossed the anchor out. Showtime!!! Honestly, I said to myself as I dropped it out, "there's no way". Less than 30 seconds later, we were caught, and sure enough, it seemed to hold good. I tugged it, and it was tight. I then forgot about it, went swimming, watched fireworks, had a great time. Never broke loose once! Even with a 3.5mph current. Retrieval time, I went up on the bow, pulled the rope, and it came right up, which honestly had me worried. I was expecting to pull up an empty rope, but then came the 6' chain rode, and then the shiny clean anchor. WHOA! Sweet!!!

So I'll advise anyone who's looking for an anchor to think about one of these. I'm amazed. I'll update more as time goes on, but for now, I think it's the best anchor I've ever had in the 12 years I've been on the water!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CheneAnchor.jpg (24.6 KB, 14 views)
-Formerly known as ShabahZ250
-USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification