The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Boating 101 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/)
-   -   Mystery Plug (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/2183-mystery-plug.html)

Corndog 03-21-2009 12:38 AM

Mystery Plug

I found a "mystery" plug in my recently purchased 98 Shabah 180. This is my first boat and quite frankly, I have a lot to learn. Anyway, I found what looks like a plug of some kind in the captain cup holder. It is threaded and looks like it is made of brass or something similar. It is about 1/2 inch in diameter and 3/4 inch long. I'm told the boat was winterized. Is the plug perhaps removed for winterization? Is it a drain for the boat or maybe a soft plug for the motor? I have no idea where it might belong. Any help would be much appreciated.

Corndog 03-21-2009 01:09 AM

Re: Mystery Plug

One more thing. There is no lanyard for the kill switch that is on the bottom of the throttle. Will the boat start and run without it? Where could I get a replacement? Thanks again for any input.

Corndog

Irace82 03-21-2009 01:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Corndog (Post 12788)
I found a "mystery" plug in my recently purchased 98 Shabah 180. This is my first boat and quite frankly, I have a lot to learn. Anyway, I found what looks like a plug of some kind in the captain cup holder. It is threaded and looks like it is made of brass or something similar. It is about 1/2 inch in diameter and 3/4 inch long. I'm told the boat was winterized. Is the plug perhaps removed for winterization? Is it a drain for the boat or maybe a soft plug for the motor? I have no idea where it might belong. Any help would be much appreciated.

Does your "mystery" plug look like the one below? If so it is...

Product Description:
Bronze 1/2" NPT replacement plug for garboard drain. Used as transom drain on many current model powerboats. You should always carry a spare. "Just In Case".

(This pic and info is provided my wholesalemarine.com)

WetWilly 03-21-2009 01:47 AM

Hi Corndog and welcome to the club!

It sounds like you have the main drain plug for the hull and it probably has a square protruding from one end, like the one in the picture Irace82 posted. This is for a 1/2" wrench for loosening and tightening.. Look at the back of your boat underneath the outdrive and you will see a brass drain port located at the very bottom of the transom. This is where that brass plug of yours should go.

Since you mentioned that your Mariah was winterized and this is your first boat, I suggest having a mechanic or someone very knowledgeable with your motor and outdrive to explain what measures were done for the winterizing and what you need to do to put it back into service. This normally involves reinstalling the motor and exhaust manifold water drain plugs, possible oil change, general tuneup and possibly a water pump impeller change. Don't forget the trailer if you have one.

I know it sounds like a lot but it really isn't once you're familiar with the routine!

The motor will still run without the Lanyard as long as the kill switch is in the correct position, which I believe is in the down position for RUN. Replacement Lanyards are available and any good boating store should carry or have access to them. I had to get one myself, got it from West Marine, they're on the web

WetWilly

z275st 03-21-2009 02:47 AM

I found the use of this plug is optional and only needs to be used if you want the boat to float for a extended of period of time!
Several years ago, in my 210 Talari, after motoring out to the swimming area; one of the kids still in the boat ask where all the water was coming from. I got into the boat to find water coming out from under the motor box. I immediately remembered taking out the plug at home and leaving it in the garage. I jumped back into the water and covered the hole with my hand. I had everyone to get back into the boat. I then got into the boat started the bilge pump, started the engine, and took off on plane so water would drain out the plug hole. After water stopped coming out from the bilge, I stopped the boat, jumped out, covered the hole and had my wife give me the extra plug. I "ALWAYS" carry one and know right were it is! The rest of the day we spent in the sun! So "always always" carry a extra plug.

Almost every boater will tell you they have forgotten to replace the drain-plug once or twice.(Or lie about it):yes_grin:

Z 202 03-22-2009 03:44 PM

Well, (touch wood) I haven't done it with my Mariah... yet... :yes_grin:

I do remember back in the 80's, lauching my dad's Baja with the Dodge Magnum. He forgot to put the plug in... I was manning the ropes on the dock and he was getting ready to fire it up when he noticed the water coming up in the bilge. Fortunately we got it back on the bunks fairly quickly, and the smoke show the car provided as it tried to pull that load back up the steep and slippery ramp was quite spectacular... :eek_animated:

I always carry a spare plug in the boat, and a spare wrench in the console of my Jeep, so I always have it handy at launch time.

Corndog 03-22-2009 06:27 PM

Thank You All. My "mystery" plug is the same as one in the photo so... mystery solved. Great advice about carrying a spare plug, having a mechanic walk me through the spring startup, where to get a replacement lanyard, etc. I will take all your advice and am very appreciative. Happy boating.

WetWilly 03-22-2009 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Corndog,

It was our pleasure!

Here is something else that will come in handy until you get into the "boating" routine... it's a checklist created by our member Dudders. :wink_thumbup:

It's divided into two responsibilities, yours and your first mate/wife/girl friend/etc and the drain plug is referred to as "BUNG" on the list...

WetWilly

z275st 03-22-2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WetWilly (Post 12822)
Hi Corndog,

It was our pleasure!

Here is something else that will come in handy until you get into the "boating" routine... it's a checklist created by our member Dudders. :wink_thumbup:

It's divided into two responsibilities, yours and your first mate/wife/girl friend/etc and the drain plug is referred to as "BUNG" on the list...

WetWilly

I guess that makes that opening a "BUNG HOLE":rolling_laugh::rolling_laugh::rolling_laugh:

LHC Kirby 03-28-2009 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corndog (Post 12788)
I found a "mystery" plug in my recently purchased 98 Shabah 180. This is my first boat and quite frankly, I have a lot to learn. Any help would be much appreciated.

Based on the info above - all boaters, and new ones like yourself - Must take a boaters safety course. Bring the wife and any children that may be operating the boat in the next year. It will be time well spent, and get you a discount on your boat insurance too.

If you did not know what the plug is, that is a real good sign, that a safety class is going to teach you a lot. :wink_thumbup:

Enjoy the Mariah and your next bigger boat (common thing, if you love boating, is to go bigger next time):yes_grin: