The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Boating 101 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/)
-   -   Black "sut" around outdrive (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/10827-black-sut-around-outdrive.html)

Hunter12345 06-05-2016 06:04 PM

Black "sut" around outdrive

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...cf4cf5591d.jpg

Can anyone explain this black around the outdrive? Would this be from exhaust? I flooded her once by accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dafucwuzat 06-06-2016 05:43 PM

Re: Black "sut" around outdrive

Looks like exhaust at idle. Your bellows probably allow it to come out of them a little and its in that cave like area to trap it in

Brian Belcher 06-07-2016 08:15 PM

Running VERY rich. Good thing is you know it's at idle so you can adjust idle air mixture screws

Hunter12345 06-08-2016 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Belcher (Post 59119)
Running VERY rich. Good thing is you know it's at idle so you can adjust idle air mixture screws

It idles good, but sputtered once or twice when i hit the throttle. I know carbs have a slight delay compared to efi, air fuel mixture, im not very mechanical with engines but not afraid to learn. Unfortunately, i wouldnt know how to adjust the screws, how much to turn, and when is perfect, ill have to call the merc people to come out at the lake. I put in premium gas, should i be running regular?

Hunter12345 06-12-2016 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Belcher (Post 59119)

Brian, would it be an automatic choke issue? Ill know more when i get to the lake, im going to run it up on the trailer, maybe the choke is closing too much on start up?
I know one guy with a 454 carb said if your not running cold weather you can "wire open" the automatic choke, funny thing is, it doesn't idle up higher on start.

Brian Belcher 06-13-2016 01:55 PM

Yep. I bet it's your choke. Is it electric ?

Hunter12345 06-14-2016 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Belcher (Post 59183)
Yep. I bet it's your choke. Is it electric ?

So not sure on the 95' mercruiser 350 4 barrel, im not positive yet if its a "heat" activated choke with the coil spring that opens it when it get hot?
I seen how that one operates, but never seen an electric choke.
The wierd thing is it doesnt idle up in neutral, just starts, idles fine at operating idle. Wierd, maybe and hopefully its a one time occurance, splashing it again this weekend, the kids are due for some punishment on the tubes. Haha!

dafucwuzat 06-15-2016 01:20 AM

Hunter, if you have the electric choke, which I'm GUESSING you do, it probably has 2 screws on side that you can loosen, then rotate adjustment. Best thing I think at this point is YouTube. Every carb known to man can be found on there checking and adjusting choke.

Hunter12345 06-15-2016 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dafucwuzat (Post 59197)
Hunter, if you have the electric choke, which I'm GUESSING you do, it probably has 2 screws on side that you can loosen, then rotate adjustment. Best thing I think at this point is YouTube. Every carb known to man can be found on there checking and adjusting choke.

Thanks buddy, ive watched a bunch, theres a good 5 part series about carbs, took about an hour to get through them, but well worth it.

Brian Belcher 06-16-2016 04:20 PM

I discovered on mine, the hot wire for the choke comes directly from alternator. The connector is a cheap, push on barrel type and mine had popped off. Put it back on to only have it do it again. The second time around, I slightly crimped/crushed the fitting.