Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Captain's call exhaust and swim platforms.

Watersports

Old 05-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #1

TexasZ212 is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1999
My Model: Z212 Shabah
My Engine: 5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1
Gallery Images: 0

Send TexasZ212:
a Private Message

Default Captain's call exhaust and swim platforms.

I know that generally when the Corsa/Captains Call exhaust can't exit below/under the swim platform, then you go to side exits.

But, the factory rear exiting Mariah tips are so beautiful that if you had a set of those already...along with the expense of buying a set of side exit exhaust tips to replace your o-so-beautiful factory Mariah tips...well, it makes one want to use those o-so-beautiful exhaust tips, no matter what.

I love the swim platforms that members here are adding to their Mariah's, and along with the reviews, agree when everyone usually says it's the best and most enjoyable addition to their Mariah that they have ever done.

I love the swim platforms that are available in every way except one. For me personally I wanted a swim platform that the top surface of the swim platform will be even/level with the surface of the water when the boat is stopped...like the Malibu Wakesetters and several other brands that are made/designed primarily as a wake board craft.

I was just reading some of the last posts to the "new swim platform" thread and saw once again comments about the difficult space restrictions on some of our boats to make the exhaust tips exit below/under the swim platform.

I'm curious and just have to ask, what if there wasn't enough room underneath the swim platform to exit there, and the exhaust tips ended up exiting just above the swim platform?

I ask this cuz' my son and I custom made our own swim platform for the back of our 1999 Z212 Shabah...and it does sit level with the water surface when our Mariah is stopped. In order to accomplish that, we had to make the swim platform attach lower that the ones being made for our boats by the commercial manufacturers.
The factory Mariah exhaust tips are exiting above the swim platform.
I fought with that decision long and hard and thought about all the potential problems (mainly safety) that might occur from having them exit above the swim platform...exhaust fumes...tips being hot after running hard...and on and on and on...but we haven't had any problems at all, none, zero...and I sure like being able to see the factory Mariah exhaust tips, not to mention hearing the rumble when they are switched on.
  • Old 05-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #2

jarwiebe is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z210 Shabah
    My Engine: 5.7 LX Alpha I
    Gallery Images: 2

Send jarwiebe:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Captain's call exhaust and swim platforms.

Would it be possible to post up up some pic's. I am thinking of building my own as well and mounting it at water level. My question is, how did you deal with the out drive when you put into trailer position? Did you need to adjust the it so it wouldn't come up as high as normal, if so, how is that done?

Jake

1996 Z210 Shabah
    Mercruiser 5.7LX
    Alpha One Drive
    80 Lb. SX Smart Tabs
    Old 05-21-2012, 12:46 AM   #3

Find me on the Map

Send TexasZ212:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jarwiebe View Post
    Would it be possible to post up up some pic's. I am thinking of building my own as well and mounting it at water level. My question is, how did you deal with the out drive when you put into trailer position? Did you need to adjust the it so it wouldn't come up as high as normal, if so, how is that done?
    I'll take some pictures and post them when I can. I wanted to wait until I had the time to write an explanation to go along with the pictures.

Good question about the out drive. I don't know for certain how much higher it would go if the swim platforn was't in the way, but I don't think it would be more than about three inches.
    It "will hit" the bottom of the platform if you try to put it up as far as it will possibly go. It goes plenty far up to never ever have a problem with it dragging on anything.

My wife is usually the one that drives our boat onto the trailer. We have a small mark about a 1/4 inch from the top on the trim gauge that we use as a guide so we don't raise the outdrive too high in the trailering position. Once out of the water where we can visually see it, we simply raise it those last few inches with the outdrive switch that is located at the back of the boat.

I'll wait until I put the pictures up to explain the reasoning behind why we made ours the way we did.
    Old 05-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #4

nglauer is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: 180 Diablo
    My Engine: 3.0L Alpha one

Send nglauer:
    a Private Message

I would like to see pictures as well. I would love to have a swim platform and have thought about making one for our boat. I'm just not sure if I should go fiberglass or teak. I could easily make one from wood, but I'm not sure how it would look on a boat like mine. Very interested in any pictures or details you can offer.

Nick
    odis1943 likes this.
    Old 05-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #5

rayzorback is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1997
    My Model: 210 LE
    My Engine: 454 Bravo 1
    Gallery Images: 10

Send rayzorback:
    a Private Message

I'm interested to see the pics too. My wife would have liked to have the swimdeck closer to the water, but I personally didn't want the exhausts above the swimdeck. after running my boat a few times, I notice dark areas developing on the underside of my new deck from the exhaust fumes. I wonder if it would do that on the top side if the deck were below the exhausts.
    Old 05-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #6

Find me on the Map

Send TexasZ212:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rayzorback View Post
    I'm interested to see the pics too. My wife would have liked to have the swimdeck closer to the water, but I personally didn't want the exhausts above the swimdeck. after running my boat a few times, I notice dark areas developing on the underside of my new deck from the exhaust fumes. I wonder if it would do that on the top side if the deck were below the exhausts.
    No dark areas/spots/stains/nada at all on mine. Before you get up on plane, the swim platform gets covered with water so it gets a good wash off every time you throttle up to make the boat plane.

Hang in there with me, I promise to get some pics up here soon. I've had some long days and nights. If you notice the time of this post you will see it's at 5 AM Tuesday morning, and I just come in from working on my son's projects and we started at 8 AM Monday morning. I'm 64 and way too old to be working 20 hour days.
    odis1943 likes this.
    Old 07-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #7

caraudio91 is currently offline
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: 212z
    My Engine: 350/alpha one

Send caraudio91:
    a Private Message

i have a z212 as well and was thinkin bout building a swim deck out of the off white marine anti skid wonderboard?would love to see some pics of your boat? i put thru hull exhaust on my boat and it sounds great too
    Old 06-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #8

Deckard83 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z212 shabah
    My Engine: 7.4l bravo III

Send Deckard83:
    a Private Message

I am looking as we'll. if I went below the exhaust would you be able to trim up the motor to trailer mode? My wife is on the hunt for one. I'm not to sure I do I'm afraid i will loose the sound of exhaust.

Deckard83
    1999 shabah z212. 7.4, 454
    Old 06-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #9

Motoxxx43 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: Shabah 250
    My Engine: 7.4 MPI Bravo I
    Gallery Images: 11

Send Motoxxx43:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deckard83 View Post
    I am looking as we'll. if I went below the exhaust would you be able to trim up the motor to trailer mode? My wife is on the hunt for one. I'm not to sure I do I'm afraid i will loose the sound of exhaust.

Deckard83
    1999 shabah z212. 7.4, 454
    The two boats I have been around that added a swim deck to a boat with captain call have gotten exponentially louder once the swim deck was put on.
    I don't know how that will be effected by putting the deck below the exits though...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    Old 06-27-2013, 01:43 AM   #10

Deckard83 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z212 shabah
    My Engine: 7.4l bravo III

Send Deckard83:
    a Private Message

I looked into the platforms today. I found some nice ones I just not sure if I could deal with having to drill holes in the boat for the mounting brackets!!!! I'm sure others haven't had any trouble with leaking I hope?

Deckard83
    1999 shabah z212, 7.4, 454
    Bravo III