Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Turning Point Propellers

Prop Talk

Old 09-16-2010, 12:52 PM   #1

Shabah 198SE is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1997
My Model: Shabah 198SE
My Engine: 5.7L Alpha
Gallery Images: 0

Send Shabah 198SE:
a Private Message

Default Turning Point Propellers

As I have mentioned here before, I am not a fan of stainless steel propellers. I would rather lose a prop than gears and a gearcase. The increased galvanic corrosion to the gearcase, when using stainless, also bothers me. Yes, I have owned stainless props in the past.

My 1997 198SE Shabah is equipped with a 5.7 litre (2-barrel) Mercruiser/Alpha One Generation II.

This boat is used as a day cruising boat and will likely never pull a skier or water toy. I have taken it to wide open throttle once.

As a propeller, I am using a four blade Turning Point Propeller - Hustler Aluminum Propeller - 14 X 21 - #2150 2130. This is a very impressive aluminum propeller. It brings the boat up on plane VERY quickly. Once on plane, lets say from about 2,700 RPM and up, I am consistently getting 1 MPH for every 100 RPM. My recommended maximum RPM is 4,600 and with this propeller, the boat tops out at 4,500 RPM and 45 MPH (plenty fast for this old fart).

Like I said, it is an impressive propeller that I purchased new for $160.00. They are basically a throwaway if damaged.

I hope that this post helps others.

Shabah 198SE
  • Old 02-18-2011, 12:51 PM   #2

bbrophy58 is currently offline
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: 182 shabah
    My Engine: 4.3 alpha 1

Send bbrophy58:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Turning Point Propellers

Shabah, glad to hear that you are happy with the Turning Point prop. I have a 182 Shabah currently running a standard 19 pitch aluminum prop. I have a 4.3 liter carbed 190hp mercruiser and run about 4900 rpms trimmed way up and in the high 47 mph range. I just bought a Turning Point 21 pitch aluminum to se how fast I can get my boat to go. I was going to go with a stainless Stiletto but backed out due to the cost and not being sure y boat can handle the 21 itch. The TP was $110 out the door. I will post how it does in the spring when I test her out.
    Old 02-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #3

Shabah 198SE is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1997
    My Model: Shabah 198SE
    My Engine: 5.7L Alpha

Send Shabah 198SE:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbrophy58 View Post
    Shabah, glad to hear that you are happy with the Turning Point prop. I have a 182 Shabah currently running a standard 19 pitch aluminum prop. I have a 4.3 liter carbed 190hp mercruiser and run about 4900 rpms trimmed way up and in the high 47 mph range. I just bought a Turning Point 21 pitch aluminum to se how fast I can get my boat to go. I was going to go with a stainless Stiletto but backed out due to the cost and not being sure y boat can handle the 21 itch. The TP was $110 out the door. I will post how it does in the spring when I test her out.
    bbrophy58,

I hope that you will be as pleased with your Turning Point propeller as I am with mine.

I have no experience with a V6 and you have not stated your propeller diameter. If memory serves me, my V8 puts out 210 HP at 4,800 RPM. My boat would also be a bit heavier than yours. You may be able to turn the 21 inch pitch diameter, but I don't know what it will do to your bottom end.

Something tells me that MikeyT posted some propeller information on his boat. His boat may be the same size as yours. I'm not sure.

There, how is that for useless information?

Take Care

Shabah 198SE
    Old 02-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #4

bbrophy58 is currently offline
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: 182 shabah
    My Engine: 4.3 alpha 1

Send bbrophy58:
    a Private Message

Shabah - The Turning Point Hustler prop I bought is a 3 blade 14.25 x 21. Mikey T has a similar boat and has actually run a 21 with mixed results. Others on here with 18 footers and the v6's run 21's and love them. Seems every boat is a little different. I am hoping mine gets a bit faster and has enough low end to not become a dog. Can't wait till spring to try it out!