Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Drivers kick panel

Projects

Old 04-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #1

spinks99 is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1995
My Model: Z202 Shabah
My Engine: 5.0 LX Alpha One
Gallery Images: 11

Send spinks99:
a Private Message

Default Drivers kick panel

I will be installing a sub behind the driver's kick panel in my z202 (1995). How does one remove this? Do you have to unscrew it from the bow compartment? Not sure.

Danny
  • Old 04-10-2011, 02:00 AM   #2

Flattop is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: z212 Shabah
    My Engine: 5.7L alpha
    Gallery Images: 0

Send Flattop:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Drivers kick panel

Danny,
    Not sure about the z202 but I have a 1999 z212 and just had a stereo installed yesterday... The installer tried to get the kick panel off of my passenger side but couldnt he said there must be hidden screws somewhere Thats where we wanted to put my sub at. we ended up putting it in the storage compartment just in front of the passenger side windshield then slid it back until we hit the kick panel. it sounds good this was a 10" JL sub. this is the 1st good sounding stereo i have ever had and it rocks! We installed 4- 5.25" and 2- 6.5" alpine speakers
    Old 04-10-2011, 04:04 AM   #3

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

I dont have mine handy to confirm this but i seem to remember a couple of 'buttons' on the kick panels that once removed gained you access to the screws that hold it in place.
    Old 04-11-2011, 04:11 AM   #4

Find me on the Map

Send spinks99:
    a Private Message

Mikey,

I did notice the buttons on the kick panel. Do they pop off? I don't want to destroy anything.

Flattop,

I also thought of sliding somthing in the storage compartment back to the kick panel, but it would be much easier to just take the panel off to insert a sub enclosure. I don't know if it will fit through the storage compartment opening. I also want to mount my amp to the kick panel on the inside of it.

You say that 10" sub sounds good? I was thinking of a 10 or 12. Not going too wild. The wife might figure out what I do with the boat when I'm out with my buddies (ha ha). I am also installing 4 Polk 6.5 inch speakers. The speaker openings are too small so I have to cut them a little bigger. I'm a little nervous about doing it. Any advice would be appreciated. I also bought a class D 1300W Sony amp off craigslist to drive the sub. I plan on mounting it behind the kick panel as well. This project is already getting bigger than I thought. Did you do a battery upgrade? If so, what did you go with?

Danny
    Old 04-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #5

Flattop is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: z212 Shabah
    My Engine: 5.7L alpha

Send Flattop:
    a Private Message

We tried to fit a 12" sub in the storage but it wouldnt go so we went with a 10. you have to turn it just right to get bit to go and it slides all the way back to the kick panel I'm not sure you would gain anything if you did get the panel off. My amp was installed on the drivers side kick panel on the outside where it could get more air but physically its small compared to some of the older amps that is one thing I really liked about it. The amp i installed is a JL 700w 5channel. It was expensive but it fits up and out of the way, it was a clean install, I went with the 4-5.25" speakers because my speaker locations are molded to fit just 5.25". I was concerned about the smaller speakers but they assured me they had some good sounding 5.25ers. They are 170watts. Yesterday I took off the speaker grills and taped off the mesh and painted the plastic around the mesh to match the inside paint of my boat. it looks really custom. The 6.5" speakers were added up front in the bow. they had to have new holes cut to install them. as for a battery upgrade my boat already had 2 with a Perco switch so I can isolate witch one Im using. The guy that sold me the amp said these newer amps dont draw as much juice as the older ones it also equiped with a fan to help cool it. Oh and I was lookin at the Polk speakers also and they make the 5.25" size too if you would rather not cut on your boat. The speakers I bought were rated higher wattage than the Polks. You may need more with a 1300watt amp. If I figure out how to add pics I will post some of my boat and what I did to it
    Old 04-12-2011, 02:54 AM   #6

Find me on the Map

Send spinks99:
    a Private Message

Hey Flattop,

I installed the 6.5 inch Polks. I cut the holes a little bigger with a dremel tool. It wasn't a fun job but I got them in.

I was dinking around with that kick panel. I got the buttons off and then took out the two screws holding it and it still wouldn't come out. I don't know what's holding it? None the less, I changed my mind. I'm going to mount the amp under the back hatch and drop a single 12" sub back there as well. I got the idea from Hypperd. He has an amazing boat with an amazing stero set up. You should check out his pics.

I checked out your amp online. It looks awesome and a perfect size. My Sony is a honking cow. I'm not sure if my boat will plane after mounting it. I got it off craigslist and the guy gave me a demo as well. It's about 2 years old. I only paid $60 for it. Should do the job. I also am mounting my new Pioneer deck. It has the latest Ipod and Iphone hookups. I wouldn't know how to use them but usually people I take out do. I try to post some pics.

I'm taking my boat to the marina tomorrow to get new bunks put on the trailer. There goes another couple hundred. That's one of the reasons I'm trying to piece this stereo together as efficiently as possible.

Danny
    Old 04-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #7

rayzorback is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1997
    My Model: 210 LE
    My Engine: 454 Bravo 1
    Gallery Images: 10

Send rayzorback:
    a Private Message

I replaced a blown 10" sub in my boat, it is mounted to the drivers foot panel. I also mounted the amp behind the right bow seatback.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg sub.jpg (76.6 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by rayzorback; 04-23-2012 at 02:35 PM.
    Old 04-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #8

Find me on the Map

Send spinks99:
    a Private Message

Hi Razorback,

I ended up setting a PYLE 12" subwoofer under the back hatch with the amp mounted to the top of it. It sits perfectly on the port side of the engine. It's a clean installation and sounds wonderful.

Danny
    Old 05-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #9

Double D is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 98 Mariah 202 Shabah

Send Double D:
    a Private Message

The panel has two buttons, 1. pop them off 2 then unscrew the fastener. 3 their are two hidden screws somewhere behind these button holes. 4. Lower left hand corner in the carpet their are two screws, may have to take a blade and put a slit in the carpet. Take your time. This is for the Driver side.

Pass would be total oppsite.

Hope this helps!