Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Looking for more sound in my 97 180 Shabah

Original Mariah Talk

Old 09-14-2011, 03:33 AM   #1

Jgos929 is currently offline
My Year: 1997
My Model: 180SE Shabah
My Engine: 4.3L Cobra
Gallery Images: 0

Send Jgos929:
a Private Message

Default Looking for more sound in my 97 180 Shabah

Looking for some more sound, something louder. We were out this past weekend and it's really weak sounding. The head unit isn't the best it's a Dual unit but I want to keep it because it's got a wired remote already wired in on the rear deck and I love that feature. Its got Kenwood 6.5's on each side of the cockpit and two Jensen 6x9's under the back bench. I'm thinking of ditching the 6x9's and getting some of the Polk db691's. I had the db series speakers in my GTO and they sounded great and I just came across a set of db6501's that I bought and never used so I'm off to a good start. I'm thinking a 4 channel amp to power the 6x9's and a sub would get me where I want to be. My concerns are 1) My radio only has one set of pre amps. 2) where to mount the amp. 3) where to put a sub. 4) what kind of enclosure to use. And last battery power. Right now I only have a single battery would I need a dual setup? Under the dashes won't work for amp or sub because the passenger side has the built in cooler and under the driver side is just open to all the wiring and what not. Under the bench seat it's wide open so I'm thinking I could mount an amp in there but there wouldn't be enough room for a sub enclosure so where do I put that? I could do a free air sub in the wall between the 6x9's but to make those sound good the install has to be right on the money.

I'm looking for input from people with a similar size or model as me so I have a familiarity.

Thanks
  • Old 09-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #2

ry2545cds is currently offline
    Gallery Images: 10

Send ry2545cds:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Looking for more sound in my 97 180 Shabah

I have a Z 252 Shabah that has a complete eclipse speaker system that include 4 10 inch subs and 6 6' inch speakers with highs and lows. I push 2 amps, 1 2 channel 1000 watt that I bridge my subs across (plenty of power) and then a 4 channel 1200 watt for 4 of the speakers and then I bridge the power via the 200 watt or so amp in the kenwood headunit. From this i have 3 batterys. number 1 and number 2 are bridged to make 1 single battery which is battery A on my switch and then I have an Optima marine deep cycle as my battery B for emergencies.

With any battery power is not what you need to worry about...its all about staying power. Best Thing i have found in years is a device called the volt minder. Plugs into your cig lighter and will constantly read out how many volts you have in your battery. You can also set an alarm on it for it to go off when it hits a certain number. I can usually listen to my system for an hour and a half before I need to run the engine. Also a battery switch is good for the purpose of making sure that there are no devices that are draining your power when youre done for the day. If you have any questions give me a shout and I would be happy to help you.