Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Boat wont Plane

Original Mariah Talk

Old 07-02-2010, 12:52 AM   #1

ggrims is currently offline
My Year: 1992
My Model: Shabah
My Engine: 350 magnum
Gallery Images: 2

Send ggrims:
a Private Message

Default Boat wont Plane

Ok, I have learned many things over the years, Th one thing is never buy anything from someone you know,, I did not follow it this time .. Pie in my face . The sellers told me that it was winterized so if possible not to start it and the only thing they think would be dead is the starter,,.. It was one of the few things that worked!! . They said it was only out of the water for 2 seasons,, well after research it has not been registered since 1996. Ok, after replacing trim lines, trim rams, bellows, gimble bearing, professional carb rebuild I took it out for my first day. It seemed to have a missfire before I put it in so I replaced the plugs. Well after getting it to the bay it would not plane. It would get to 3000 rpm but that was it,, it ran out of power. The boat is a 92 shabah 198Z with a 350 mag/alpha. Since then I put in new wires with the cap and rotor and a new thermostat as they old one was stuck half open and it would not get over 120 degrees. it seems to idle smooth but I wont take it out till friday for a test run. I checked the choke as I thought it might not be opening all the way and running rich but it opens after a few minutes. The fuel had a few gallons in the tank when I filled it. I found out that it also had a few gallons of water also, I siphoned off all of the water but the couple gallons of stale gas is mixed now with the 20 gallons of new.. Could this keep the boat from gaining full power??? I am at wits end ,, any comments at this point would be appriciated. Thanks!!!
  • Old 07-02-2010, 03:00 AM   #2

DougR is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2003
    My Model: SX 20
    My Engine: 5.7
    Gallery Images: 0

Send DougR:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Boat wont Plane

Have you.....
    #1 Replaced any gas filters or water/ separator filters?
    #2 Try adding some Heat to help with moisture ( I use the red bottle seems to really help with bad gas) at least two bottles...

-Doug
    Old 07-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #3

Send ggrims:
    a Private Message

I did replace my seperator/filter, I also checked it to make sure it did not have water in it. I have put in something for water but not "heat". the gas is slightly cloudy though.
    Old 07-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #4

SEMIJim is currently offline
    My Year: 1994
    My Model: 182 Barchetta
    My Engine: 4.3L Alpha 1 Gen. 2

Send SEMIJim:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ggrims View Post
    ... the gas is slightly cloudy though.
    Gasoline shouldn't be cloudy.

Jim
    Old 07-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #5

Rob 8043 is currently offline

Send Rob 8043:
    a Private Message

I own a 1996 202 shabah with 350mag/bravo 1 outdrive. Bought it new. When the dealer took me out on my test drive the day I picked up the boat it ran fantastic, planed quickly with no problems. When I took the boat out the first time, I had my family (wife and 2 kids) and took another family with their 2 kids, and full tank of gas. Boat would not get on plane.

I contacted the dealer and was advised to purchase a stainless steel prop ( a mirage high 5). I put that prop on my boat and it made all the difference in the world. My boat planes quickly even with full tank of gas and full load of passengers.

This turned out to be a long post, but the bottom line, it may be your prop.

Rob
    Old 07-03-2010, 02:57 AM   #6

Send ggrims:
    a Private Message

Wll, towards the cloudy gas, I assume there was a gallon or two of stale gas left in the tank after siphoning out the water. The question is does 2 or so gallons of stale gas mixed with 25 gallons of fresh keep a boat from planing or going over 3000 rpms under load. As for the prop, it went through my mind too, but it was the same prop the original owners had on it when it ran. I took it out today after the plug wires, cap and rotor were replaced and it did not run any better, only it ran for 10 seconds after the ignition went off, so now I believe the timing went off. It seems to have a misfire on the starboard side of the engine so I am leaning towards that as the problem, the only thing is what would cause that misfire. It is a thunderbolt ignition. I am thinking out loud as I ran out of money with all the fixes and the mechanic doing the couple jobs I did not have the tools for.. Thanks for all of the help so far!!