Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

93 Talari weight

Original Mariah Talk

Old 02-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #1

Snowaterdude is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1993
My Model: 1993 Mariah Talari MX
My Engine: 5.0 L Alpha 1
Gallery Images: 5

Send Snowaterdude:
a Private Message

Default 93 Talari weight

I'm in the process of replacing my second vehicle. I now use my Grand Cherokee Ltd equiped with a V-8 (240 hp) in order to pull my 90 Talari 20 footer with 5.0 liter. I'm planning of getting rid of the mini van and want to replace it with an Acura MDX equiped with a V-6 (265hp). The MDX is rated for 4500lbs...

I have no problems pulling it with the Grand Cherokee and stopping is a breeze with those electric brakes. The MDX has more power but towing capacity is lower than the Grand Cherokee....

Here is my question? How heavy is my boat empty? I can then guestimate the trailer weight, fuel and equipment...
  • Old 02-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #2

dlowings is currently offline
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Z225
    Gallery Images: 8

Send dlowings:
    a Private Message

Default Re: 93 Talari weight

When I was looking for a trailer, I went to NADA and pulled up the specs on my boat. There is all kind of info you can pull up on that site if you drill down to your type of boat. They had the weight as well as a lot of other info..
    Old 02-13-2010, 01:55 AM   #3

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

2550lbs according to the promo brochure. If you have 4500lbs towing capacity in the Acura, pulling the 20' boat should be a breeze.
    Old 02-13-2010, 07:41 AM   #4

WetWilly is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z240 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

Hi Snowaterdude,

I'm curious about what year your Jeep is and based on the MDX hp, I'd say you're looking at a '06 or older model. If this is correct,I would pass on the MDX, the 25 additional HP is not going to makeup for the loss in torque that you have in your V8 Jeep. Or go with an '07 or newer, HP and TQ are higher, just watch out for the torque converter issues!

To get a perspective on the '06 MDX's towing, here is an excerpt from their '06 brochure:

"Ultimately, the engineers concluded that a casual or weekend towing capability was most appropriate for MDX. Customer feedback helped set the towing limit at 4500 pounds for boats and 3500 pounds for other types of trailers. A heavier load is acceptable with boats because their pointed bow shapes impose less aerodynamic drag on the towing vehicle than a slab-faced, square-cornered trailer."

So it doesn't seem to be a structural reason for the weight difference, but rather a HP/TQ issue in dealing with the additional drag.

Now on the up-side:

"Industry practice is to boast a high maximum tow rating, even though some sacrifice of passengers and cargo may be necessary to suitably accommodate such a trailer load - in some cases limiting the vehicle to one passenger to accommodate the maximum specified towing capacity. The Acura MDX's 3500/4500-pound rating is calculated to include up to four passengers and their cargo.

To help ensure that customers will be able to move a maximum-rated load up a grade from rest (such as pulling a loaded boat trailer up a launch ramp), engineers sought out the most challenging entry roads and launch ramps in the country. Through testing, they verified that MDX proficiently handles the 17-degree (31-percent) grades on mountain roads approaching Lake Cumberland in southern Kentucky and the strenuous combination of 15-degree (27-percent) grades and 5280-foot elevation at Lake Tahoe. At sea level, MDX can move a 4500-pound boat and four passengers up an 18-degree (32-percent) slope. A note in the MDX owner's manual suggests reducing gross combined weight two-percent for every 1000 feet of elevation. "

WetWilly
    Old 02-14-2010, 12:54 AM   #5

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

I'm guessing by that 265hp that its a 2004 to 2006 model because they were 260hp in 2003 and jumped up to 300hp in 2007 with the redesign. It also appears that the transmission problems of the early models 2001-2003 were resolved by 2004. Given that the original poster lives here in Ontario, i dont think elevation is much of an issue so that MDX should be able to handle that 20' boat fairly easily. Hell, i pulled my 18 with a Ford Escape with its 3500lb rating and while it wasn't a powerhouse, it got the job done.

Another option if you really like the MDX is the Honda Pilot. It uses the same underpinnings & engine as the Acura but i believe it uses regular grade gas vs the premium required by the MDX. It also has the 4500 boat / 3500 trailer tow rating. The Pilots tend to be slightly less expensive that the MDX too.
    Old 02-14-2010, 04:19 AM   #6

spinks99 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z202 Shabah
    My Engine: 5.0 LX Alpha One
    Gallery Images: 11

Send spinks99:
    a Private Message

Hey Snowdude,

I just bought a 1995 Z202 last August. I have a 2006 MDX that I pull it with. I didn't get a chance to use the boat very much, but I did have to drive about 150 miles to pick it up. I didn't have any problems towing the boat or pulling it out of the launch. It has plenty of power.

I also have my wife, two kids, and gear along when I go boating. I see you noticed there were early transmission problems with the MDX. To my understanding they have been resolved.

If you buy a used MDX-be sure that it has a factory installed towing package. This includes:
    1. Transmission cooler
    2. Power Steering cooler
    3. Factory Hitch and wiring

As Wet Willy explained-Acura has put a lot of thought into their tow rating. The verdict is still out for the MDX, but I didn't have any concerns and Iv'e read most people are happy with them.

Danny

P.S. Does anyone know what a 1995 Z202 weighs with a 19 foot Eagle trailer? It can't be 4500 lbs.
    Old 02-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #7

Snowaterdude is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1993
    My Model: 1993 Mariah Talari MX
    My Engine: 5.0 L Alpha 1
    Gallery Images: 5

Send Snowaterdude:
    a Private Message

Thanks very much everyone for all replies....The MDX I'm looking and was looking at again yesterday, is in deed an 06. I am fully aware of the tranny problems with the earlier versions. I did test drive the Honda Pilot and eventhough they say it's almost the same vehicle, trust me, there is a hige difference in handling and comfort. I will spend the extra coins and buy a vehicle which has the handle similar to a car. I was loooking at my buddies yesterday and his didn't come with factory towing package. I was disaointed. I know all Grand Cherokess Limited came with towing packages. I will definitely look for one equiped with it. I don't intend to go across Canada with the boat, most of my daily trips are 25 min away. Once a year or so, I may pull it 55 min away from home. If I was to do long distances, I would buy a diesel pickup. Unfortunatly, I am not a truck kinda guy.

The 06 does not come with 4 low wich is a feature I really liked on the Jeep when time comes to pull the boat out the water. I'm sure its not required but I felt like the vehicle didn't have to work at all to pull my boat on land.

Again thanks to you all for the replies...I have made my mine, MDX it is...
    Old 02-17-2010, 04:05 AM   #8

Paul F is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    Gallery Images: 4

Send Paul F:
    a Private Message

The weights quoted in the brochure are dry weights with base engines. In my case, the brochure says my Talari 180 weighs 2200 lbs. By the time I add the weight difference between a 3.0L and my 4.3L, fuel, gear, and trailer, I have no doubt that I'm getting close to 3500lbs.
    Old 02-20-2010, 12:12 AM   #9

Z 202 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Mariah Shabah 202
    My Engine: 5.7L Alpha 1
    Gallery Images: 6

Send Z 202:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snowaterdude View Post
    The 06 does not come with 4 low wich is a feature I really liked on the Jeep when time comes to pull the boat out the water. I'm sure its not required but I felt like the vehicle didn't have to work at all to pull my boat on land.

Again thanks to you all for the replies...I have made my mine, MDX it is...
    4Lo? Bah. I pulled my 202 out of georgian bay with a turbo- minivan.

It got too expensive buying front tires for the mini... so I now use my Quadra Drive Limited. Good vehicle - if you're handy.

I think you made a good choice. Like mikey says all the water is close by and at very near the same elevation. You shouldn't have issues.

My Shabah is using what the hybrids are saving!