The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   garboard replacement /seal (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/2845-garboard-replacement-seal.html)

mikkibtune 06-29-2009 01:13 AM

garboard replacement /seal

94 Mariah Talari Out today and noticed taking on water, Not knowing for sure if the bellow was cracked etc.etc,etc. I decided to trailer my boat home to investigate(usually at dock) I dried the area around the drain plug , then noticed on the under side of the garboard a small drip form , them it kept dripping at a decent pace. dried it of agian and them same happened. Can I jsut dry off garboard , seal it, or should I remove it , then reseal ,if so with what ? T it seems like an easy fix I just want to do it right.....Thanks

SEMIJim 06-29-2009 02:57 AM

Re: garboard replacement /seal

Garboard?

Definitions of "garboard" on the 'net:
  • the first wale laid next to the keel of a wooden ship
  • The board on a boat which attaches to the keel running fore and aft along the bottom
  • (Or garboard strake). The lower most strake on the hull, and that which is rabbeted into the keel.
  • The streaks (planks) on each side next to and joining the keel.

Jim

WetWilly 06-29-2009 09:19 AM

Hi mikkibtune,

I assume you've confirmed the water is leaking from the Garboard housing and not from the plug itself. If your not sure if it's the plug or the Garboard housing, wind a few lengths of Teflon tape around the plug and reinsert it and then re-check for leaks.

If it is the Garboard housing, I suggest you try to remove it, clean the transom surface and Garboard housing with a good degreaser (remove any old sealant), re-coat the Garboard housing with a high quality marine sealant like 3M 5200 Polyurethane adhesive/sealant and reinstall it. Wipe away any excess sealant and use your finger to make a nice fillet around the housing.

Hey SEMIJim, the brass plug on the back of the transoms is sometimes referred to as the Garboard plug....

WetWilly

SEMIJim 06-29-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WetWilly (Post 15881)
Hey SEMIJim, the brass plug on the back of the transoms is sometimes referred to as the Garboard plug....

WetWilly

And the thing into which it plugs, no doubt some kind of reinforced plate or something (I've yet to have examined the drain plug or drain plug area closely), is referred-to by some as a "garboard housing?" Thanks for the info.

(I think I'll just call them "drain plug" and "drain plug housing" ;).)

Jim

WetWilly 06-29-2009 09:00 PM

Better than calling it a "Bung Hole", right Jim? ;)

Oh geez, now I've done it... brace for the comments... :very_scared:

WetWilly

mikkibtune 06-30-2009 11:26 AM

Thanks wet willy, and bung hole plug is fine by me:):):)

AirNavy 07-17-2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikkibtune (Post 15916)
Thanks wet willy, and bung hole plug is fine by me:):):)

Too easy... :rolling_laugh: