Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Engine Oil Weight

General Maintenance

Old 10-27-2008, 03:15 AM   #1

Douglas Alderman is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Model: 1999 Mariah, 214 Jubilee Merc 5.0L Alpha1
Gallery Images: 2

Send Douglas Alderman:
a Private Message

Question Engine Oil Weight

What engine oil wt. are you using in your boat? I'm using 10-30wt. Quick Silver oil for my Merc.5.0 and have a newer 2005 engine. Will 10-40wt. change the oil pressure? My boat is in warm 90-plus tempatures all the time.
  • Old 10-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #2

WetWilly is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Z240 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

Hi Douglas,

As you're already using a 10W-30 weight oil, a 10w-40 won't change your pressure very much at all, I would say at the most maybe 3 - 5 PSI tops. Are you using the Mercruiser brand oil because I thought it's a 25W-40 oil...

First off, here's a little explanation about what the "10W-30" stands for for those of you that would like to know... ( a little synopsis I got from the net)

The viscosity grade (for example, 10W-30) tells you the oil's thickness, or viscosity. A thin oil has a lower number and flows more easily, while thick oils have a higher number and are more resistant to flow. Water has a very low viscosity -- it is thin and flows easily. Honey has a very high viscosity -- it is thick and gooey. Multi-weight oils (such as 10W-30) are a new invention made possible by adding polymers to oil. The polymers allow the oil to have different weights at different temperatures. The first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at a cold temperature, while the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temperature.

In other words, when cold your 10w-30 is as thick (viscosity) as a straight 10 weight oil and at operating temp, no thinner than a straight 30 weight oil would get.

Now whether you need a thicker oil depends on the quality of oil you're using now and the temperature of the water you run in. Air temp doesn't matter as it's the water that's cooling your I/O. Where we run out Talari, the water temp is usually in the 70's near the surface (air temp between 80-100+) and I have never had any problems with Quicksilver 4-Cycle Marine Engine Oil (25W-40 weight oil) in our I/O's.

Well that's my $0.02 on the matter....

Good luck
    WetWilly

Last edited by WetWilly; 10-27-2008 at 12:20 PM. Reason: spelling, spelling, spelling...
    Old 10-27-2008, 03:55 PM   #3

dudders is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2006
    My Model: SX18
    My Engine: V6 4.3L
    Gallery Images: 53

Send dudders:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WetWilly View Post
    Hi Douglas,

As you're already using a 10W-30 weight oil, a 10w-40 won't change your pressure very much at all, I would say at the most maybe 3 - 5 PSI tops. Are you using the Mercruiser brand oil because I thought it's a 25W-40 oil...

First off, here's a little explanation about what the "10W-30" stands for for those of you that would like to know... ( a little synopsis I got from the net)

The viscosity grade (for example, 10W-30) tells you the oil's thickness, or viscosity. A thin oil has a lower number and flows more easily, while thick oils have a higher number and are more resistant to flow. Water has a very low viscosity -- it is thin and flows easily. Honey has a very high viscosity -- it is thick and gooey. Multi-weight oils (such as 10W-30) are a new invention made possible by adding polymers to oil. The polymers allow the oil to have different weights at different temperatures. The first number indicates the viscosity of the oil at a cold temperature, while the second number indicates the viscosity at operating temperature.

In other words, when cold your 10w-30 is as thick (viscosity) as a straight 10 weight oil and at operating temp, no thinner than a straight 30 weight oil would get.

Now whether you need a thicker oil depends on the quality of oil you're using now and the temperature of the water you run in. Air temp doesn't matter as it's the water that's cooling your I/O. Where we run out Talari, the water temp is usually in the 70's near the surface (air temp between 80-100+) and I have never had any problems with Quicksilver 4-Cycle Marine Engine Oil (25W-40 weight oil) in our I/O's.

Well that's my $0.02 on the matter....

Good luck
    WetWilly

You (as usual) are absolutely right WetWilly with your synopsis.
    One thing - With a 10W/?? oil, you have a better start up lubrication rate. Which means, when you turn your motor on, the oil will be just a little quicker to lubricate your bearings etc at the top end of your motor than a 25W/?? oil.
    The 25W/?? still do a great job and the oil still gets there pretty quick, just the 10W/?? types are just that little bit quicker.
    My 2cents as well.

Schizophrenia, together I can beat it.
    Old 08-12-2010, 01:23 AM   #4

scubydo is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 200
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 0

Send scubydo:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Engine Oil Weight

I'm thinking about using synthetic Mobile 1 0w-30, or 0w-40 in my late 90's 4.3 Mercruiser. Any thoughts????
    Old 08-12-2010, 02:46 AM   #5

m&mmariah is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: 180 Shabah
    My Engine: 4.3 Mercruiser 4v carb

Send m&mmariah:
    a Private Message

There's a somewhat good discussion forum about engine oil over at www.bobistheoilguy.com.

The even have a sub-forum on boat engines. I'm running mobil delvac 15W40 in my merc 4.3. It's a heavy duty engine oil (HDEO) formulation. Any HDEO should stand up well in marine applications, according to the folks at the other forum. Also, the 15W-40 rating is pretty close to the Quicksilver 25W-40 oil recommendation. Of course, if your engine is still in the warranty period, I'd run the 25W-40.
    Old 08-12-2010, 02:54 AM   #6

garyg is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: Z272 Shabah Open bow
    My Engine: 7.4 LMPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 5

Send garyg:
    a Private Message

Cool Re: Engine Oil Weight

Scubydo I use Mobil 1 10w-30 in my 2000 Z272 Shabah 7.4 MPI Bravo 111. The previous owner used Mobil 1,so used the same oil.I Have good oil presure and the boat temperature is fine. Gary G
    Old 08-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #7

Find me on the Map

Send scubydo:
    a Private Message

I had to use the Boat over the weekend, I ended up putting a straight 30 Valvoline in it. I didn't like the oil pressure when the boat was cold, it was 40 psi at an idle, and kicked up just above 60 when cruising around 3300 rpm's. This seems high to me after reading on the bobistheoilguy.com site. I'm thinking I'll try the synthetic mobil 1 0w-30 next. Anybody think that is a bad idea???
    Old 08-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #8

Find me on the Map

Send scubydo:
    a Private Message

Come on anybody??? Has anybody used the Synthetic Mobil 1 0w-30 in a boat? It's not cheap so I'd really like to hear from someone????
    Old 08-21-2010, 02:24 AM   #9

garyg is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: Z272 Shabah Open bow
    My Engine: 7.4 LMPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 5

Send garyg:
    a Private Message

Smile Re: Engine Oil Weight

Scubydo Yea I do in my 2000 Z 272 Shabah Open Bow 7.4MPI Bravo 111 I buy it Wal-Mart in the 5 quart jug for $ 21.00. If you look at your post you will see my other reply above yours. I like the Mobil 1,it wontn't break down like regular oil. Gary G
    Old 08-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #10

Find me on the Map

Send scubydo:
    a Private Message

Thanks. I'll try it on the next oil change.