The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Welcome and Depth finder repair (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/12939-welcome-depth-finder-repair.html)

DanGundrum 07-06-2020 05:23 PM

Welcome and Depth finder repair

:eek_animated:Hello everyone. I just purchased a 1996 Mariah Shabah limited edition and need advice on what to do next. The depth finder gauge panel does not display nomatter what I try. and 2 I can get the the engine to trim up and down but I cannot get it to go all the way up to the full up trim position for trailering. Any suggestions on either before I call a local marine mechanic. Thank you in advance

mikeyt 07-06-2020 07:11 PM

Re: Welcome and Depth finder repair

The depth finder problem is usually due to the puck coming dislodged from its mounted position in front of the engine. Epoxy the puck back in place.
Does your boat have a separate trailer button on the transom and/or at the bottom of the throttle assembly? If so have you tried using it? The trim button will not lift the outdrive into the trailering position by design essentially so that some idiot doesn't lift the outdrive completely out of the water while underway..... IF you have tried the trailer button(s) then run thru the Trim/Tilt troubleshooter procedure located at the top of the General Maintenance section.

DanGundrum 07-07-2020 03:26 PM

Thanks for your comment. I am not very mechanical. The boat is to be my relaxation and new enjoyment. We had a great time on the boat.

My depth finder doesn't display anything. If it were just the transducer wouldn't the display still work and show zero or infinity?

I have a button located on the handle of the throttle near the bottom. I was instructed to hold that button in while pushing the trim up button and the motor should go to trailering position but it doesn't. So, do you think it may be an electrical connection. It moves up and down freely within the trim range, but not all the way up.

mikeyt 07-07-2020 04:20 PM

The trailer button should operate without pressing on the trim button on the handle. Doing both likely results in the trim button over-riding the trailer button circuit. As for the Trim/Tilt troubleshooter, its not hard to follow and its a good time to have a basic idea of how things work on your boat before you have a failure out on the water somewhere.

Follow the wiring back from your depth gauge to the fuse panel and see if you have a fuse failure. Fuse panel is likely up under the drivers side dash against the hull.

DanGundrum 07-07-2020 04:43 PM

That's a great suggestion on the fuse for the depth finder.

When you refer to the trailer button are you speaking about the black button thumb-sized on the bottom of the throttle handle facing the driver? I don't think I pressed that button by itself. Or is there another button that I am missing. Following the protocol in the owner's manual for troubleshooting might help? If both don't work what would be your suggestion as to what the problem is. As I mentioned before. The engine seemed to run just fine just couldn't get the motor up when trailering.

Chingwow 07-07-2020 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanGundrum (Post 67272)

When you refer to the trailer button are you speaking about the black button thumb-sized on the bottom of the throttle handle facing the driver? I don't think I pressed that button by itself. Or is there another button that I am missing. Following the protocol in the owner's manual for troubleshooting might help? If both don't work what would be your suggestion as to what the problem is. As I mentioned before. The engine seemed to run just fine just couldn't get the motor up when trailering.

I have same boat at the end of the day use your up trim on the top of the throttle till it stops then on the bottom right corner if you look its a button that does say trailer just push that button on its own and it will come all the way up that trailer button blends in so look good and you'll see it

Chingwow 07-07-2020 07:30 PM

hey Dan could you possibly tell what prop size you are running on that there should be some numbers on the hub area if you can that be great i bought my boat out of Colorado and I'm fighting a prop issue is why i ask

mikeyt 07-07-2020 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chingwow (Post 67274)
hey Dan could you possibly tell what prop size you are running on that there should be some numbers on the hub area if you can that be great i bought my boat out of Colorado and I'm fighting a prop issue is why i ask

How do you know that he has the same boat? He hasn't stated what size his Shabah LE is....

My suggestion is for you to read the Stickys located at the top of the Prop Talk section. They will give you guidance on how to choose your prop

mikeyt 07-07-2020 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanGundrum (Post 67272)

Your throttle assembly will have a trim button on the throttle handle and then a separate trailer button near the bottom. Some of our boats also have a trailering button located on the transom for convenience. The trailer button should bring your outdrive all the way up into trailering position and you should not have to use the trim button to bring it part way up. We dont all have the same throttle assemblies but in the attached photo (yes its a bit out of focus) you should be able to see the trailer button at the bottom rear of the throttle assembly on my boat.