Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Motor will turn over but not start

General Maintenance

Old 07-28-2019, 03:15 AM   #1

mwright1988 is currently offline
My Year: 1995
My Model: Z202 Shabah
My Engine: 5.0LX Alpha One
Gallery Images: 5

Send mwright1988:
a Private Message

Default Motor will turn over but not start

Looking for some feedback and help.

We have had our 95 Shabah Z202 on the lake 4 times this summer. Twice when I test drive it before buying it and twice after and it has started and run great. Just finished replacing all of Bellows and gimbal bearing on the outdrive. Also greased up and reinstalled the hatch actuators, which were previously disconnected before I bought it, and installed a new radio bezel and radio. We never touched the engine during the whole process however when I went to start it today and it will turn over fine but will not fire. Checked the battery and it reads 12.6 volts and doesn’t dip when attempting to start. Trying to identify the issue since it’s fired up easily every other time. It has a 5.0LX MerCruiser Alpha One - Gen 2 with a Thunderbolt Ignition.

The other odd part of all of this is that both hatch motors and the power seat will no longer function even though they both were shortly before. This originally made me think the battery didn’t have enough of a charge to spark and ignite but the voltmeter readings seem to say otherwise. Checked the kill switch and that was set to Run. Has a full tank of gas and I primed it and started the same as I have before but it just sits and cranks.

Hoping someone can offer up some possible causes of these issues and maybe a solution. I feel like it’s too much of a coincidence for the starting issue and the hatch/power seat issue to be unrelated...
  • Old 07-29-2019, 02:23 AM   #2

Unknownmariah is currently offline
    My Year: 1994
    My Engine: 350 magnum
    Gallery Images: 0

Send Unknownmariah:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Motor will turn over but not start

Clogged fuel lines? Happened to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Old 07-29-2019, 04:36 AM   #3

Send mwright1988:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unknownmariah View Post
    Clogged fuel lines? Happened to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Seems to be getting fuel to the carburetor when priming it.

UPDATE:
    Found a blown fuse under the dash that accounts for the hatch actuators and the power seat, and checked behind the radio panel for any loose connections but came with nothing. We put in a new fuse and closed everything back up, hooked up the muffs and went to start it and now it won’t turn over, click or anything. I now noticed that the digital display at the top of the dash that normally says “Mariah Boats” when you turn the key on will display a bunch of random characters each time I turn it on. I’m beginning to think this whole issue has something to do with the electrical. But now I’m worse off than before.
    Old 08-14-2019, 01:55 PM   #4

Send mwright1988:
    a Private Message

She’s Alive!!! Turns out there were a couple of very simple issues causing the noon start.

1) Apparently when my dad and I were wrestling with the outdrive to get it remounted, we somehow managed to flip the shift linkage so when we got everything buttoned up it was backwards.

2) There was a wire that had come loose at the back of the kill switch which was keeping the engine from even cranking.

As soon as those issues were fixed she fired right up! Lessons learned but definitely some major face palming over this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk