The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Ski rope anchor point (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/11714-ski-rope-anchor-point.html)

Stagdad62 08-10-2017 06:34 AM

Ski rope anchor point

Hi there just purchased my first Mariah and getting ready for the first run out, however I am unsure how the tow rope attaches to the anchor point on the transom, I am unfamiliar with this type of ski rope attachment. I am wondering if someone could tell me or send a photo of the correct way to connect the tow rope. I do not want this coming off mid tow and having an accident. A phot would be appreciated:confused folks :confused: it is a 2008 SX18

pllevine 08-10-2017 08:39 AM

Re: Ski rope anchor point

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stagdad62 (Post 63612)
Hi there just purchased my first Mariah and getting ready for the first run out, however I am unsure how the tow rope attaches to the anchor point on the transom, I am unfamiliar with this type of ski rope attachment. I am wondering if someone could tell me or send a photo of the correct way to connect the tow rope. I do not want this coming off mid tow and having an accident. A phot would be appreciated:confused folks :confused: it is a 2008 SX18

Your tow rope should have loops at both ends. You feed the loop through the tow fitting, catch that center tab and the rest goes up and over. Don't have a loop? Tie a two-half hitch constrictor knot. Don't want the knot to tighten under a load? Then tie a Bowline with a bight on each end......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pllevine 08-10-2017 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stagdad62 (Post 63612)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4e0106006f.jpg

Stagdad62 08-10-2017 11:42 AM

Mine does not look like that it is inset and pulls out about 2"??

pllevine 08-10-2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stagdad62 (Post 63616)
Mine does not look like that it is inset and pulls out about 2"??

Didn't say that was a photo of a Mariah.... it's just the same type of ring. You were interested in how the rope goes around it and that is a very clear photo.....

GaryDoug 08-11-2017 02:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The 2008 boat has a different style of towing bit. It's like a bat-wing shape. I think you pull out the bit and put the loop at the rope's end around the center pin.

GaryDoug 08-11-2017 04:08 PM

I sent an email to the company that made the towing bit and this was the conversation:

Tim Lebeau <[email protected]>:
Hey Gary I spoke with the owner and he was aware they were using it that way he said that application is fine and to attach the tow line all someone has to do is loop it through.

Me:

Tim,
The reason for the questions is because a forum member has a 2008 Mariah SX18 bowrider and these boats had this towing bit as stock equipment. It is mounted on the back of the boat on a near vertical surface and gets pulled out toward the back when activated. How is this supposed to work for attaching a tow line? Were you guys aware of the Mariah company using your product this way? By the way, the Mariah Boat company is no longer in business.
-Gary

Tim:
Hi Gary I do not have a diagram but the bit gets pulled up it gets mounted straight up --- Have a good day.

Stagdad62 08-11-2017 09:50 PM

Thanks for that guys so I guess as indicated that the tow rope eye just loops over it I think I will take two turns of the eye around the shank of the tow point just in case

Tim Lebeau <[email protected]>:
Hey Gary I spoke with the owner and he was aware they were using it that way he said that application is fine and to attach the tow line all someone has to do is loop it through.

Me:

Tim,
The reason for the questions is because a forum member has a 2008 Mariah SX18 bowrider and these boats had this towing bit as stock equipment. It is mounted on the back of the boat on a near vertical surface and gets pulled out toward the back when activated. How is this supposed to work for attaching a tow line? Were you guys aware of the Mariah company using your product this way? By the way, the Mariah Boat company is no longer in business.
-Gary

Tim:
Hi Gary I do not have a diagram but the bit gets pulled up it gets mounted straight up --- Have a good day.[/QUOTE]

GaryDoug 08-11-2017 10:20 PM

Sounds like a good idea.

Shabah203 08-14-2017 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pllevine (Post 63613)
Your tow rope should have loops at both ends. You feed the loop through the tow fitting, catch that center tab and the rest goes up and over. Don't have a loop? Tie a two-half hitch constrictor knot. Don't want the knot to tighten under a load? Then tie a Bowline with a bight on each end......

Sorry but that is not correct. These are safety hooks. You should hang the loop over the pin. That's all. The idea is that in case of emergency, you can quickly with one hand flip the line up and set your 'tow' loose!