Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Engine Trim Gauge stopped working.

General Maintenance

Old 07-10-2017, 04:38 AM   #1

1996 Mariah Z252 is currently offline
My Year: 1996
My Model: Z255 Shabah
My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
Gallery Images: 0

Send 1996 Mariah Z252:
a Private Message

Default Engine Trim Gauge stopped working.

How can I fix this? The connections look fine and sometimes it will work randomly but then stop working shortly later. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Firestone and Cenkadem like this.
  • Old 07-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #2

Hudson River Steve is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo3
    Gallery Images: 5

Send Hudson River Steve:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Engine Trim Gauge stopped working.

Generally when the trim gauge stops working the culprit is the position sensor which is located on the side of the outdrive. I assume you have a Mercruiser. If so, you will have to remove the outdrive to replace the sensor. While you are at it you should probably replace the trim limit switch as well and check the condition of you boots and gimbal bearing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Old 07-10-2017, 12:20 PM   #3

Firestone is currently offline
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: Z202
    My Engine: 5.7 MAG MPI, Alpha One

Send Firestone:
    a Private Message

Just to be clear. You can still move the outdrive, but it does not read on the gauge?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    phdeds likes this.

- 2000 Mariah Shabah Z202, 5.7L MAG MPI, Alpha One
    Thank you Firestone for this useful post!
    pllevine (07-12-2017)
    Old 07-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #4

Send 1996 Mariah Z252:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
    Just to be clear. You can still move the outdrive, but it does not read on the gauge?

Yes.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #5

Send 1996 Mariah Z252:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson River Steve View Post
    Generally when the trim gauge stops working the culprit is the position sensor which is located on the side of the outdrive. I assume you have a Mercruiser. If so, you will have to remove the outdrive to replace the sensor. While you are at it you should probably replace the trim limit switch as well and check the condition of you boots and gimbal bearing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    When I was out driving through it would sometimes work. But it stopped again after I hit a bump.

Firestone likes this.
    Old 07-10-2017, 03:50 PM   #6

Firestone is currently offline
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: Z202
    My Engine: 5.7 MAG MPI, Alpha One

Send Firestone:
    a Private Message

Uggg. Sounds electrical, sounds like you are going to need to chase the wiring to find the loose connection. Fyi I was messing around and pulled my breaker panel and found a few loose connections on the back and the one for my navigation lights completely off which did not work when I bought it last year. Now they are working great.

- 2000 Mariah Shabah Z202, 5.7L MAG MPI, Alpha One
    Thank you Firestone for this useful post!
    1996 Mariah Z252 (07-10-2017)
    Old 07-10-2017, 04:16 PM   #7

Hudson River Steve is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo3
    Gallery Images: 5

Send Hudson River Steve:
    a Private Message

It's not uncommon for the trim sensor to become intermittent. The sensor lives under water, sometimes the seal fails. Also the insulation on the wiring to it that also lives under water often becomes brittle and cracks. You will have to trace the wires from the sensor and the limit switch through the transom. They come through the transom just above the drive shaft. The trim sensor and switch are usually terminated in bullet connectors that are mounted on the inside of the transom. You can check if it is the sensor, the wiring or the gauge by simply unplugging the two bullet connectors for the trim sensor which I believe is a brown/white wire and a black wire. Once unplugged the trim gauge should read fully down. If you short the brown/white wire to the other trim sensor wire which should be black then the gauge should read fully up. If this works OK then your gauge and wiring in the boat are good and the sensor/wiring to sensor is bad. If this does not work as described then the issue is either the wiring in the boat or the gauge itself. You can check the gauge by going behind the dashboard and removing the wire from the "S" terminal of the trim gauge. With the wire off, the gauge should read fully down. Now short the "S" terminal to the ground terminal, the gauge should read fully up.
    Thank you Hudson River Steve for this useful post!
    Firestone (07-10-2017)
    Old 07-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #8

elrack is currently offline
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: z275st
    My Engine: 8.1L Bravo III

Send elrack:
    a Private Message

It's pretty common as HRS pointed out. Trim sensor or exposed wires are almost always the problem. There is a rotor / brush inside the sender on the starboard side of the outdrive. On the rotor there is a part (black strip) that changes the resistance, the brush touches that and sends that information change (current) to the trim gauge. You can take the rotor out and measure the resistance on it. The resistance will change on the black strip on the rotor. If at some point along the sweep the resistance gets too high the gauge will read it as fully down (I think). While this may not be your problem I still wanted to point it out as it is a $20 fix with no need to replace the entire send unit. You can test the rotor yourself with an ohm meter. If the insulation on the wires are cracked you can repair those as well. I have seen some pretty badly exposed wires and the trim sender still worked. My best guess is both wires coming out of the unit are exposed and touching, when you hit a bump they stop touching. The wires are attached to the brushes via screws in the send unit. You can remove the the wires there and replace up to where they are exposed, just use a good waterproof connector. Apologies for the long reply, I have repaired a "few" of them.
    Firestone likes this.
    Thank you elrack for this useful post!
    Firestone (07-11-2017)
    Old 07-11-2017, 05:57 PM   #9

Send 1996 Mariah Z252:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elrack View Post
    It's pretty common as HRS pointed out. Trim sensor or exposed wires are almost always the problem. There is a rotor / brush inside the sender on the starboard side of the outdrive. On the rotor there is a part (black strip) that changes the resistance, the brush touches that and sends that information change (current) to the trim gauge. You can take the rotor out and measure the resistance on it. The resistance will change on the black strip on the rotor. If at some point along the sweep the resistance gets too high the gauge will read it as fully down (I think). While this may not be your problem I still wanted to point it out as it is a $20 fix with no need to replace the entire send unit. You can test the rotor yourself with an ohm meter. If the insulation on the wires are cracked you can repair those as well. I have seen some pretty badly exposed wires and the trim sender still worked. My best guess is both wires coming out of the unit are exposed and touching, when you hit a bump they stop touching. The wires are attached to the brushes via screws in the send unit. You can remove the the wires there and replace up to where they are exposed, just use a good waterproof connector. Apologies for the long reply, I have repaired a "few" of them.
    Thanks. Is that the starboard side while looking forward on the boat or the starboard side looking back at the engine?

Firestone likes this.
    Old 07-11-2017, 06:16 PM   #10

Send 1996 Mariah Z252:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elrack View Post
    There are 2 of them I see. Would I have to replace both?

Firestone likes this.
    Thank you 1996 Mariah Z252 for this useful post!
    M186652 (07-10-2020)