The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Boating 101 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/)
-   -   Stupid carpet (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/boating-101/8701-stupid-carpet.html)

Lucky14 08-21-2013 03:09 AM

Stupid carpet

I am not a fan of carpet in a boat. My Sx19 has glued in carpet with raw fiberglass under it. The carpet s FOREVER wet or damp even with the snap on covers and a nylon cover over it.

Question one: how does everyone else store their boat in the driveway without overhead protection? I want to keep all the moisture out I detailed the boat and 2 weeks later it was a mold fest on the vinyl today...what else can I do to keep the moisture out?

Question two: I want to rip out my carpet this off season and install a non carpet alternative. I loved hydro turf on my PWCs so I am leaning that way. I know SEADECK makes a similar product any one else on here do something similar?

Question 3: I also want to remove the carpet on the upper sides of the floor and the half walls where the blower mounts before the bilge. I want to paint/seal it with the same material the transom is painted with. Anyone know what that black undercoat looking stuff is?

Dozer 08-21-2013 04:52 AM

Stupid carpet

An answer to question one is getting a decent mooring cover. That'll keep the rain water out. I have a cheap one that came with the boat and it keeps it dry inside. Without it and the boat fills with rain water quickly.

husker_fan 08-21-2013 12:17 PM

Re: Stupid carpet

I have a custom made mooring cover for mine. Its always bone dry. I also keep a bag of damp rid hanging in it all the time its covered.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

ColoradoDiablo 08-21-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker_fan (Post 48272)
I have a custom made mooring cover for mine. Its always bone dry. I also keep a bag of damp rid hanging in it all the time its covered.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

X2 for sure.:wink_thumbup:

A good fitting cover and damp rid is the only safe bet for outside storage.

ShabahZ280 08-21-2013 02:33 PM

x3 on the Damp Rid.

The key to keeping mold under control is to have a cover that allows the boat to "breathe". Sunbrella is a great option for cockpit & bow covers because it keeps water out, but allows the interior to breathe while the cover's on. Vinyl & Nylon covers are good, but they'll keep moisture trapped inside unless you vent them somehow. Using a large Damp Rid or a few small ones should keep all your moisture under control while the boat's covered.

As far as artificial decking, most of us just stick with the carpet or non-skid. If you decide to go with the hydroturf, definitely keep us updated, as you'd be the first one to tackle a project like this.

What black undercoating sealing stuff are you referring to? Can you post a pic? I'm not sure I've ever seen that before.

Lucky14 08-21-2013 11:13 PM

I have bow and cockpit covers that are not very water repellant. I think I could find some sort of treatment to restore their repellency. Above that I have a Nylon Overtons 5 yr. cover with rear vents.

I am thinking of getting a solar powered vent and cracking open that can of Damp Rid that they gave me with the cover. How long does that stuff last on average? (I know its affected by humidity)

The back of the transom/stern is coated in what appears to be black sprayed on undercoat type material. It is very similar to rubberized undercoating fairly firm and not sticky. The entire rear stern/transom area and bilge are painted with it. I will take pictures tomorrow when I hook up and fuel up for Saturday.I will be removing the carpet in the engine compartment and "sidewalls" and if I can't identify the spray on product use rubberized undercoating.

I will defiantly be tackling an artificial turf this fall/winter like hydro or seadek I will take pictures and write it up.

finleydj 08-23-2013 04:16 AM

Stupid carpet

Charcoal works well too to Absorb that moisture too!

Hudson River Steve 08-23-2013 12:42 PM

If your bow and cockpit covers are made from Sunbrella like material and are no longer very water resistant, you will need to clean them well and then recoat them with 303® High Tech Fabric Guard. Otherwis your covers are just acting like a coffee filter, allowing the water to pass through but trapping the dirt. You need to recoat them every few years to keep them water repellent.

Lucky14 08-28-2013 02:08 AM

REDRUM FABRICS Nautolex Marine Vinyl Flooring at West Marine

Anyone use this vinyl flooring ?

ColoradoDiablo 08-28-2013 05:14 AM

I'm going to catch he-- ,
But personally , I'd rather have carpet on my feet!!
Get a good "rubber back" marine carpet , glue it down with the "proper" adhesive , and enjoy!
Not saying the vinyl stuff ain't good , but it's really hard to not enjoy the feeling of "rug" under your feet.

JMO