Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

new buyer

Boating 101

Old 02-03-2008, 02:12 AM   #1

b767-200er is currently offline
Gallery Images: 0

Send b767-200er:
a Private Message

Thumbs up new buyer

Hi guys.

Can some one please help me. I am looking for information on a 1994 Mariah Shabah Powerboat Cruiser Ski/Wakeboard Boat.

I live in Africa and wish to import one from the US or where ever. I intend using the baot for pleasure slalom water ski and wake boarding.

Can you advise the following:

What should I expect to pay for one?

What would an engine over haul cost?

Is this a suitable boat for water ski/ wake boarding?

What is the expected fuel consumption?

The boat dimensions. On and off a trailer?

where I can get one?
OR: would you recommend I look at another type?

I REALLY appreciate your help.

Kind Regards,

HAMISH HAMILTON
  • Old 02-03-2008, 04:04 AM   #2

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by b767-200er View Post
    Hi guys.

Can some one please help me. I am looking for information on a 1994 Mariah Shabah Powerboat Cruiser Ski/Wakeboard Boat.

I live in Africa and wish to import one from the US or where ever. I intend using the baot for pleasure slalom water ski and wake boarding.

Can you advise the following:

What should I expect to pay for one?

What would an engine over haul cost?

Is this a suitable boat for water ski/ wake boarding?

What is the expected fuel consumption?

The boat dimensions. On and off a trailer?

where I can get one?
    OR: would you recommend I look at another type?

I REALLY appreciate your help.

Kind Regards,

HAMISH HAMILTON
    "Hamish Hamilton from Africa"....

Ok Hamish...is there a particular size / model of Mariah you are looking at or for ? Mariahs are 'heavy' boats that generally leave a smallish wake but i'm not sure i would consider them as pure ski/wakeboard boats. They are nice cruisers with a bit of a sporting edge to them and are capable ski/wakeboard boats though.
    You also need to have an idea what size motor you're looking for: 3.0L, 4.3L. 5.0L. 5.7L or even a 7.4L. Do you want a bowrider or a cuddy cabin? A "Z" package or a regular package?
    Once you have a better idea of what size & type of boat then maybe we can give you a range of pricing in the USA.
    Old 02-03-2008, 04:27 AM   #3

Send b767-200er:
    a Private Message

Default thanks

yes. Thank you for the prompt reply.

I am looking for a ski boat, but like most unhappy men! I have a wife and kids who need something complain about, brake and abuse! So I have constraints!
    I would have liked a Nautique, but The wife wont pull me in that as it has a direct drive, and the kids need to be up front and out the way of the rope etc!.
    I also LOVE the shape of the Mariah.... Love the inbourd + alhpa 1 drive....So for me its a VERY good compromise.

I recon a 5 or 5.7 l V8 would do, with a hull 20 - 25ft. I need a good power to weight ratio, but with good looks. and seating!
    I am limited to a maximum width of 7.71ft, as that is the size of a standard container - and I would need to container it to Mauritius where I live. So its why I think the 18 or 21 ft would be as big as I can go???? please advise!

Oh yes: another reason I need an Alpha 1 drive is the coral reefs in Mauritius - where a direct drive is too deap and I have no PROP deapth control.

I need a good reliable boat, but like most men with wives and kids.....Again....I have another constraint! Its called a budget: from zero to USD 7000.... as I also have to pay the US$ 7000.... And I cant spend more than US$15000... As married men are not allowed to spend more than the cost of nappies or a new dress on them selves! So Us$ 7000...THATS TOPS.... so I am prepared to settle with an OK boat, as long as she is in GOOD mechanical order... as spares for me on the island is another BIG problem... but cosmetics are easy to fix!

In case you were wondering: yes I am happly married! Well, I will be once I get my Mariah. I will be happy, and she will be married!

Thanks again....

PS: I like this site!

HAMISH
    Old 02-03-2008, 07:57 AM   #4

WetWilly is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z240 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

Hello HAMISH,

Mariah’s are built to keep the occupants dry in open waters, as such they tend to be a little wider that some other brands and as mikeyt stated, Mariah’s are on the heavy side but this is because of their superior construction and it is one of the reasons why Mariah’s rides smoother.

Your container limitation of 7.71ft is going to be the issue....here are some examples why, the 1996 183 Shabah is 18ft long and 7.66 ft wide and jumping up to the 1996 190 Shabah at 18.80ft long and 7.83ft wide making it too large to fit your shipping container. Going to 20ft long, the width becomes 8.0ft so here is where your dilemma is.

If you can get around the width limitations, I would suggest a Shabah or Talari Bow rider in the 20 to 22ft range (kids love to ride up front and the extra open seating space gives the boat a larger feel).

Mariah’s brochures show these models perform exceptionally well with the 5.7 I/O.

WetWilly

Old 02-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #5

Send b767-200er:
    a Private Message

Thanks for the reply.

OK. IM starting to get the picture. For cofirmation. The Cabin Boat is wider than the bow rider. IS THAT CORRECT?

If are all the year modles the same width, or it is ONLY the 1996 modle 20 -22 ft that I should look out for.

NOW THE BIG QUESTION: DO YOU KNOW OF ANY ON THE MARKET? and what should I expect to pay?

REgards,

HAMISH

By the way: Im finding you all to be a very helpfull bunch of guys. thank you
    Old 02-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #6

Z 202 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Mariah Shabah 202
    My Engine: 5.7L Alpha 1
    Gallery Images: 6

Send Z 202:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WetWilly View Post
    If you can get around the width limitations, I would suggest a Shabah or Talari Bow rider in the 20 to 22ft range (kids love to ride up front and the extra open seating space gives the boat a larger feel).

Mariah’s brochures show these models perform exceptionally well with the 5.7 I/O.

WetWilly
    X2... -From someone who owns a 20' Shabah with a 5.7L Alpha 1. Plenty of room, and lots of power for pulling tubes, skiers and wakeboards.

Price will depend a lot on model and condition of course. If you can find a well cared for one with relatively low hours you will probably wind up in the 10 to 15K US$ range. The "Z" models have a plethora of options added, and will likely tend towards the upper end of that range.

My Shabah is using what the hybrids are saving!
    Old 02-04-2008, 06:20 AM   #7

WetWilly is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Model: Z240 Talari
    My Engine: 7.4L Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 25

Send WetWilly:
    a Private Message

Hi Hamish,

No, most of the Bow riders and Cabins of the same length share the same hulls so the width is the same. From looking at the different brochures, the widths appear proportionate to the length and not the year.

Again, your problem is going to be the container width limitation of 7.71ft. If you have to stay inside of 7.71ft, the only size Mariah’s that will fit are going to be the 18ft long models because they are the only models with a hull (7.66ft) that will fit inside the containers.

As I said earlier; “If you can get around the width limitations, I would suggest a Shabah or Talari Bow rider in the 20 to 22ft range “ and as Z 202 confirmed, the 20ft gives you room with performance.

To see what is available, just use Google and search for "used Mariah Boat".

As for price, go to NADA.com, you can get an idea of the going prices for used Mariah's here:

http://www.nadaguides.com/SectionHom...=24&p=0&f=5601

Good luck
    WetWilly

Last edited by WetWilly; 02-04-2008 at 05:04 PM.