Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

thinking about a 250 cuddy?

Boating 101

Old 10-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #1

cusman65 is currently offline
Gallery Images: 0

Send cusman65:
a Private Message

Default thinking about a 250 cuddy?

would like to know the difference between a 250 cuddy the one twospeed has on here to be exact and a shabah. Also hows the quality of the last made real mariah boats? thanks for your help
  • Old 10-25-2011, 02:30 AM   #2

mikeyt is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1996
    My Model: Shabah 180
    My Engine: 4.3
    Gallery Images: 14

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Default Re: thinking about a 250 cuddy?

I dont think 'twospeed' is the current owner of that boat. I believe "michelleandbilly" had it up for sale back in the summer & they bought it from 'twospeed'. There really isn't much difference between a 250/Z250 cuddy and a 252/Z252 bowrider other than the obvious. Both are 25' 2" long & 102" wide, both weigh approx 4300lbs, both have 56 gal fuel tanks, both perform about equal and both have the same passenger capacity. The biggest accessory differences will be seen between the standard version, the Z version and even the "LE" version.

I'm not absolutely positive who (Mariah or Sea Fox) in fact finished building that boat. It was most likely built in 2001 and then finished/released as a 2002 after the Mariah factory closed its doors. I think that our Admin (ShabahZ250) was looking into that for 'twospeed' when he first became a member here. You can check out that thread here.

As for the quality of the last couple of production years, ShabahZ250 has a 2000 "LE" version and i dont think he's complaining.....

Last edited by mikeyt; 10-25-2011 at 02:32 AM.
    Old 10-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #3

ShabahZ280 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1999
    My Model: Z280 MCC
    My Engine: 7.4L MPI Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 1564

Send ShabahZ280:
    a Private Message

There are a few differences between the 250 Cuddy and the Shabah models of previous years, (besides the name!)

Twospeed's 250 has the "new style" seating arrangement in the back. My 2000 Z250 LE has a large sunpad in the back versus the "new style" U-shaped seating with entry points on the port & starboard side of the stern. This allows for more room in the cabin, with the new "tilt back hood" for the engine. Mine has a huge heavy bench seat that folds forward and takes up a lot of space. Another interior difference-the dashboard gauge clusters. I wish I had that style in mine, I've had trouble with that damn curved molded plastic gauge cluster since I got mine.

As far as physical differences, the 250 has to be a new mold and not the old Shabah mold. The deadrise is much higher, (at least 24 degrees) which means it has more of a V cut to the hull, and the outdrive is mounted lower. This will allow for a smoother ride at speed. I always thought that boat looked much taller than mine, the gunwale seems much larger to integrate those molded vents on the back-which could be nice if it the height extends up into the cuddy, it might allow for more headroom, which I will say is definitely one feature I'd surely appreciate.

As for the quality of the last models, I have never seen a 2002 personally, so I can't speak for that. However the 2001's I've seen have been good. The one thing you may find is that some of the screws need to be tightened. Over time, they can loosen up a little bit. They can be anything from small trim pieces to fiberglass panels to even larger things. I usually tighten all of mine up every two years; of course I boat in some rough waters too, so you might not have those problems.

I know that boat, (or one exactly identical, which is listed in Lebanon TN) is currently for sale at a ridiculously low price. If this is the one you're considering, I'd urge you to have it looked over my a certified mechanic, and/or a surveyor, at whatever the cost. A boat in this great of shape with that low of hours shouldn't be priced that low...

If you're not in a huge hurry and you really like the older 250/Z250 Shabah, keep your eyes open. They show up online fairly often, and i may know someone who might be considering selling one. The 2002 models are extremely rare, and I've only seen maybe 5 of them for sale in the 5 years I've been looking at Mariahs. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    -Formerly known as ShabahZ250
    -USCG Licensed 50 Ton Near Coastal Master Captain with Towing Certification
    Old 10-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #4

GregT is currently offline
    My Year: 2001
    My Model: Z275ST
    My Engine: Merc 7.4L / Bravo III
    Gallery Images: 5

Send GregT:
    a Private Message

I ran across these two ads in the Dallas area.

2001 250 performance for $22,831 boat dealer

2000 250 with unbelievably low hours for $13,500 last price I saw craigslist

Hope it helps.
    Old 10-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #5

Find me on the Map

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

hey Chris

Did you ever figure out who finished building these 2002 boats and whether the '250 cuddy' was a planned model change or just a name given to an unfinished product at the time of the plant closure?
    Old 10-26-2011, 12:16 AM   #6

cusman65 is currently offline

Send cusman65:
    a Private Message

Thanks for all the info, Ive been looking at this boat for a couple of months thats what scares me. Ive talked to twospeeds wife and the reason they sold it was boating wasnt for her. Is there anyway to find michelleandbilly for any other info. Went to look at it last saturday couldnt stay long on the way to knoxvlle. Seems like it needs a good cleaning and some upholstry work. didnt start it or anything. Maybe people just dont know Mariah boats? Thanks for all the help and hope to maybe a mariah boat owner. chip
    Old 10-26-2011, 12:49 AM   #7

Dredd is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1993
    My Model: MX-19 - Sold

Send Dredd:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cusman65 View Post
    Ive talked to twospeeds wife and the reason they sold it was boating wasnt for her.
    <-- ...biting tongue, biting tongue...
    Old 10-26-2011, 01:48 AM   #8

Find me on the Map

Send mikeyt:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cusman65 View Post
    Thanks for all the info, Ive been looking at this boat for a couple of months thats what scares me. Ive talked to twospeeds wife and the reason they sold it was boating wasnt for her. Is there anyway to find michelleandbilly for any other info. Went to look at it last saturday couldnt stay long on the way to knoxvlle. Seems like it needs a good cleaning and some upholstry work. didnt start it or anything. Maybe people just dont know Mariah boats? Thanks for all the help and hope to maybe a mariah boat owner. chip
    Here is the link to their 'for sale' thread.