Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

First Time out !

Boating 101

Old 08-12-2011, 03:22 AM   #1

Atec is currently offline
Find me on the Map
My Year: 1995
My Model: Z211 Shabba
My Engine: 5.7
Gallery Images: 0

Send Atec:
a Private Message

Default First Time out !

I hope this is not a double post if so sorry !
Well after buying My 95 Z211 Shaba about two weeks or so ago . I have been going through boat to get everything thats not working to work , and changing fluids , filters , ect.

So today was the day !

I must say , I have a greater respect for my father now after watching him dock and launch boat !
Thats why I made him come out with me today , to teach his old son ! lol
You guys would have been rolling watching my back this boat down ramp with my Tundra truck , it took about 3 min and at times a was out about a half a foot either way , but i guess thats something i will get better with in time.

The boat ran great ! Started right up , no play in steering , athough i do feel a difference in a out board in slow speed then i do in this boat , in slow speed seems like it wants to wander a little more. I was told that is normal for a inboard/outboard.

One riser was a little hotter then then other, we cruised for about 3 hours got . Opened it up about 2 times, and i must say, that 5.7 is more then enough for me.

Running her about 3000 rpms sound like the sweet spot for me. Temp never went above 175 as low as 170. Everything works fine except for speedometer. I blew through hose thinking it may be blocked, but no luck . I will have to put that on my to do list .

And of course , just my luck , after bieng the captian of my boat for 35 min were stoped by USCG for saftey check. I just purchased everything i needed this morning and installed fire ex on boat also . Everything went well except now I was informed i have to get a oil placard ? And affix it under engine cover? That was new to me.

Now i would like to take the USCG boaters test again, i was 18 the last time i took it a forgot alot of it.
It does amaze me how easy my father would dock the boat in high winds and do it so good. It was blowing about 10 mph today and i had a pucker factor doing it for the first time . But overall I understand I was rated a B for the day ! lol
So i wanted to share with everyone and thank them for help ! I got blowers , defog, electric motor hatch to work . Now just a few other things to do ! I will post pictures as soon as possible !
Now how do I go out a few miles without getting lost? And without buying a fve hundred dollar garmin . I guess that something i need to learn ! lol
  • Old 08-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #2

DFZ272 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 1995
    My Model: Z272 Barchetta
    My Engine: 7.4 Bravo III

Send DFZ272:
    a Private Message

Default Re: First Time out !

Glad you are happy with your new old boat

Happy Boating
    Dan
    Thank you DFZ272 for this useful post!
    Atec (08-12-2011)
    Old 08-17-2011, 06:52 AM   #3

Bailey James is currently offline

Send Bailey James:
    a Private Message

Default Re: First Time out !

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atec View Post
    Now how do I go out a few miles without getting lost? And without buying a fve hundred dollar garmin . I guess that something i need to learn !
    You can find your way home w/o the Garmin...might not get back to that favorite spot again every time, but if you pay attention to the landscape as you head offshore - landmarks, towers, etc...you'll get the hang of where you are w/o electronics. In the pre-garmin era in Florida, I used to sketch a few key features (w/ bearings) on land to help.

One offshore note I'm sure your Dad's aware of, probably you as well: Be aware of and respect the weather. Know what kind of seas your boat (& you) can comfortably handle. Stormy seas are one thing on the bay, a different matter offshore.

Hope