Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Give me your 2cents

Boating 101

Old 12-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #1

breakdown Bry is currently offline
Gallery Images: 0

Send breakdown Bry:
a Private Message

Default Give me your 2cents

O.K..so next spring when I pull my baby out of storage, I know that I need to put a new battery
in her.My question to all of you veteran boaters out there is, what battery would you say is the best one to get? I'm only running a single battery set up currently. BTW, its a '97 Z 212
Any input is appreciated. THINK SPRING !!!!!!!
How many days till boating season?
MTH likes this.
  • Old 12-26-2016, 08:56 PM   #2

Motoxxx43 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: Shabah 250
    My Engine: 7.4 MPI Bravo I
    Gallery Images: 11

Send Motoxxx43:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Give me your 2cents

A single battery is not problem for a single motor vessel. Especially if you are not running a big stereo or lights for extended periods of time. If you are just using it to fire up the motor you could probably get away with a regular automotive battery for starting the motor. I know some people run a automotive battery for the starter and deep cycles for the house power (stereo, lights, etc.) If you are wondering what size or CCA of a battery to get I dont have that info for a V85.7/5.0 or V6 4.3. I put the biggest batteries that would fit in my boat. I have group 29 for the house lights, stereo (1000w RMS) and a group 27 for the 7.4MPI starting battery- both deep cycle.

Asking what brand of batteries is like asking a group of mechanics what the best motor oil is. Your going to get a bunch of different answers. Ill say that I never used to be a big fan of the Walmart Everstart batteries. My dad used to run them in the bass boat and would get news ones every season under warranty because they would not hold a charge after winter. (Not really a bad thing to have new batteries every season, just a hassle). Walmart caught on to this battery scheme and no longer offers a great warranty on these Everstart batteries. Apparently they offer a better battery now and we have not had a warranty issue. I used to be a big fan of Optima. I still am. Just not a fan of paying the Optima price tag. Now that I have had a few boats my experience has left me actually preferring the Walmart Everstart battery for a couple of reasons. They are made at Johnson Controls- The same folks who make Interstate batteries. Another reason- I can buy two group 29 Everstarts for the price of 1 Optima. Even if these batteries poop out on me after 4 years Im still ahead $$$. I have a 2010 Everstart and a 2012 which both work like they did when I bought them. Keep them on a trickle charger over winter and dont let them dry out they will last.

I know I didnt really answer your question to "best battery" but thats my 2 cents on batteries.
    Old 12-26-2016, 09:39 PM   #3

breakdown Bry is currently offline
    Gallery Images: 0

Send breakdown Bry:
    a Private Message

Thank you,
    That is the kind of answer I am looking for. I was actually considering going with the Optima.
    Old 12-26-2016, 11:31 PM   #4

Motoxxx43 is currently offline
    Find me on the Map
    My Year: 2000
    My Model: Shabah 250
    My Engine: 7.4 MPI Bravo I
    Gallery Images: 11

Send Motoxxx43:
    a Private Message

Quote:
    Originally Posted by breakdown Bry View Post
    Thank you,
    That is the kind of answer I am looking for. I was actually considering going with the Optima.
    Optima makes a good battery. Don't let what I said keep you from going with an Optima if that what you really want. I still run an Optima in my pickup. I just couldn't justify $400+ in batteries to boat on the small body of water we have that's 5 min from our home. I can swap a battery easily. It's not like I'm miles offshore.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk