The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Watersports (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/watersports/)
-   -   Anyone added ballasts? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/watersports/9241-anyone-added-ballasts.html)

gahooligan 04-27-2014 04:21 PM

Anyone added ballasts?

Just curious if anyone has added ballasts to their Mariah and what the results were... Opinions also welcome!

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

Motoxxx43 04-27-2014 05:04 PM

Re: Anyone added ballasts?

Not that it is in a Mariah (still an I/O) but scroll down the page HERE and there is a Sea Ray with 1300lbs of ballast. Pretty good looking wake.

gahooligan 04-28-2014 03:05 AM

Figuring my normal to max load of the normal crew and gear, it looks like I could add about 500-600 lbs. of ballast. There are some pretty inexpensive, quality, non permanent solutuons out there to give it a try. I just bought a new board so I may have to give it a go. If it works well a tower may be in the future... Any other comments welcome.

Dredd 04-29-2014 09:37 PM

I used "The Cube" up in the bow when I had mine. Pulling from my 6' pylon made the bow want to come up even more than pulling from the tow eye, so it was nice to have. I had a few other bags that I never ended up using because I never got a pump.

gahooligan 04-29-2014 10:40 PM

The guys at wakemakers.com have been very helpful. I think I am going to get two bags that will fill the ski locker all the way up under the bow floor. The pump should fill/empty them in less than five min. They should give me about 600lbs of ballast. I am also rigging some parts to disconnect the smart tabs and hold them up out of the way while we wakeboard. I have the ones they make to put them up or down but they won't fit where I mounted the tabs. People have said the tabs kill the wake and others say it helps make it better with the ballast. I'm gonna try both ways. I just want to get a good firm wake we can jump and start learning some basic tricks from. I will definately keep everyone posted on the progress and outcome. I'll be the guinea pig for all is Mariah owners that want to wakeboard. I have already been "schooled" on wakeboadd design and realized that we learned to board on one that is extremely unstable and made for flat tricks and way too long and heavy for people our size, so I'm really looking forward to the new one we just bought!!
I will take some pics of the bags, the bags in the locker full and empty and of the different wakes we get in case anyone else is interested. Now if the weather and water would just get warm enough!!!!

mikeyt 04-29-2014 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gahooligan (Post 51912)
Just curious if anyone has added ballasts to their Mariah and what the results were...

Not since i last allowed my ex to step foot on the boat and once she fell overboard the performance improved dramatically.... :rolleyes:

Motoxxx43 04-29-2014 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyt (Post 51977)
Not since i last allowed my ex to step foot on the boat and once she fell overboard the performance improved dramatically.... :rolleyes:

Now THAT is funny!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

gahooligan 04-29-2014 11:54 PM

As well as the atmosphere too I'm sure. We're you even good enought to toss her a life jacket or smart enough to toss her the anchor instead??

mikeyt 04-30-2014 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gahooligan (Post 51979)
As well as the atmosphere too I'm sure. We're you even good enought to toss her a life jacket or smart enough to toss her the anchor instead??

Neither. Some other poor soul came along & picked her up. Dont know what happened to her after that..... ;)

gahooligan 05-06-2014 04:36 PM

Watched some videos of people taking water over the bow (a lot of it) and am now thinking if this is a good decision...