The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Volvo Penta (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/volvo-penta/)
-   -   How high to tilt (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/volvo-penta/8240-how-high-tilt.html)

diablo18 06-07-2013 08:42 PM

How high to tilt

I have a 2001 diablo 180 with a 4.3 volvo sx. I have faria gauges and the trim gauge changes color halfway up, is that a good spot (halfway mark) to stop lifting the outdrive when in shallow water. I know the mercruisers stop and then have a trailer button to lift all the way up. Just trying to figure out how high I can lift it while running.

mikeyt 06-07-2013 09:18 PM

Re: How high to tilt

Well dang... there's something else i dont know the answer to. Hopefully someone here with the Volvo outdrive can speak up. I would have assumed (okay, 'guessed') that the change in colour point was the sweet spot for level running but i really dont know. :(

I know with mine in really shallow water i lift the outdrive until i hear it burbling on the surface & stop there.

Andy b 06-07-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diablo18 (Post 45011)
Just trying to figure out how high I can lift it while running.

All the way is the answer to that.

the water pick-ups never come out of the water so it'll still be cooling the motor.

At full up trim the end of the prop shaft is at water level and it is just about doable to change the prop while laying flat on your belly on the sun deck. I know because I've tried it. :yes_grin:

I will add that you can run with the leg almost right up, But you loose all steerage at high levels of trim and the slightest stab on the throttle will send the bow to the sky (Tabs or no tabs) and your stren to the bottom!

The best answer to running in shallow water I've found is to keep just above neutral trim (just above the half way mark) and run slow. You need at least 0.6m/2ft of water for your/our boat. Any less and you'll be stirring the bottom. if you have a transom mounted depth transducer you should take the reading very serious because you reading the depth right at the point of contact!
at least my through hull transducer is 3ft in front of the leg. hence the "run slow" comment

Motoxxx43 06-08-2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy b (Post 45020)
The best answer to running in shallow water I've found is to keep just above neutral trim (just above the half way mark) and run slow. You need at least 0.6m/2ft of water for your/our boat. Any less and you'll be stirring the bottom. if you have a transom mounted depth transducer you should take the reading very serious because you reading the depth right at the point of contact!
at least my through hull transducer is 3ft in front of the leg. hence the "run slow" comment

Slow is a good key word here. If you are out on the lake throwing rooster tails your trim is too high! That's bad on drive shaft u joints.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

csterner 06-08-2013 01:41 AM

In my opinion, I always keep the drive all the way down when idling or driving slow off plane. For fast hole shots I always keep the outdrive all the way down. The only time I raise (trim it) is when I am coming up on plane and then cruising on plane. How far I raise it is a feeling. Get your boat up on plane and drop the outdrive all the way down. You will feel the boat dig in. Then raise it till you feel it get really smooth and just glide on the water. You will see the bow of the boat raise up slightly and your wake will decrease. For me, this is the sweet spot. If you go too high, you will feel it get rough again. Don't go too high or you will start to tear up your drive. There are lots of variables like how rough is the water, how many people onboard, weight load distribution, etc. so I don't think there is ever 1 exact setting to raise the outdrive every time. That is why I go by the "feel" of the boat in the water. Just my 1.5 cents!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

diablo18 06-08-2013 02:03 AM

I was just used to the mercruiser like I said would stop at a certain point that is where I would put it when driving it on the trailer. I just wasnt sure how high up the volvo could safely go while idling in no wake

csterner 06-08-2013 02:15 AM

Lol...sorry bud. I missed that part! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Andy b 06-08-2013 10:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by diablo18 (Post 45032)
I was just used to the mercruiser like I said would stop at a certain point that is where I would put it when driving it on the trailer. I just wasnt sure how high up the volvo could safely go while idling in no wake

phuew! thought i'd missed the point there! :D

Fully trimmed up the bullet is just above the keel line of the hull. The water pickups are still below the water but at this state of trim the boat is almost uncontrollable!
If you’re that concerned about shallow water then my advice would be walk it in.

Plus you look like a bit of a wally when your trying to load the boat with no steerage and the boats bucking like a bronco every time you touch the throttle

if you're concerns are about striking the ramp then you need to trim your leg down when the boats on the trailer until you happy with the ground clearance on your skeg, then put a pen mark on the dial

First shot is water level at full up
Second shot is keel line at full up
Hope this helps