The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Volvo Penta (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/volvo-penta/)
-   -   help!! How low is my oil (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/volvo-penta/3109-help-how-low-my-oil.html)

Kylebsu 08-01-2009 03:50 AM

help!! How low is my oil

Have a question. I went to check my oil this evening before I take it out this weekend. The dipstick is reading nothing. Barely any oil on the tip of the dipstick. Not anywhere close to the add/safe/full line. I checked it both at cold level, and after running it to temp with the same result. I am a little concerned as i bought the boat used a couple months back and the previous owner said he just changed the oil in the outdrive and engine. The oil pressure looks good and we have not had any issues running it about 12 hours since we bought it. Engine runs great. I can't see any oil leaks, but I am going to check again tomorrow. I guess my question is, how much does the dipstick read in quarts. (does the add line mean your a quart low) The boat is on it's trailer and is level front to back and left to right. I was going to go ahead and just change to oil but I took out my moeller 6 liter oil extractor and the rubber piece that goes into the canister is missing. great... a 65 dollar extractor is only as good as it's missing piece. haha. I may just have to buy a new one. I am really wanting to see how much oil is pulled out. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kyle McMahon
2000 Shabah 222
5.0L VP GL DP

WetWilly 08-01-2009 09:22 AM

Re: help!! How low is my oil

Hi Kyle,

Typically, the Add to Full marks are a "quart" apart, but to be safe (you don't want to over fill) add just a 1/2 quart at first and see how far up the dipstick it brings you. BTW, the Volvo manual warns about letting the oil level go below the "Add" mark. Per the manual, your 5.0L should hold 6 quarts of oil with the filter and 5 without the filter so when you pump out, you should get about 5 quarts as 1 quart will still be in the filter.

As for your Moeller 6 liter oil extractor, rather that having to buy another one, I would try to contact Moeller and see if you can get a replacement part. Click here for their contact info.

WetWilly

Kylebsu 08-02-2009 04:07 AM

thanks wet willy....
So here is the update. It looks as though there was a leak. The engine was down a couple quarts and it was leaking from the oil pressure sensor right above the oil filter. I tightened the sensor down and everything looks ok for now. I guess I will see if it leaks any more tomorrow when I am at on the water. Another question... About what is your oil pressure running at idle and at WOT? I am running at 40 at idle and somewhere above that at WOT.

Thanks for your help. I will try to get some updated pics with the new swim platform sometime this next week.

Kyle

WetWilly 08-02-2009 11:07 AM

Hi Kyle,

#1) I found this in the Manual:
The space between the marks represent approximately one quart (one liter).

#2) It sounds like your oil pressure is right up there - Manual says 40 - 60psi @ 2000 RPM.

WetWilly

Kylebsu 08-03-2009 01:13 AM

Just got back from the lakes and no oil leaks, so it looks like tightening the oil pressure sensor worked. I will be posting pics of the extended swim platform I added in a bit. Thanks again for your help.

Kyle