The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Volvo Penta (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/volvo-penta/)
-   -   no fuel pressure on F.I. 302 1995 talari 191 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/volvo-penta/10250-no-fuel-pressure-f-i-302-1995-talari-191-a.html)

mikem68 06-19-2015 03:23 AM

no fuel pressure on F.I. 302 1995 talari 191

Hi! i have been signed up for a while just doing a lot of reading. this is my first post and hope someone can help me out with this problem. my boat starts and then dies. I have no pressure on the fuel rail and not sure about power. it reads momentarily then shows zero on the meter. at least the front one so I am assuming the rear is the same story. I pushed in the red reset button next to the front pump and no luck. I have found a fuse block under the dash but, not to much hooked up and nothing that looks like it would be engine related and there is the breaker panel near the floorboard on the side, but again, the closest it has is the ignition and seems to be o.k. any body now what might be the problem here?

Hudson River Steve 06-19-2015 05:58 PM

Re: no fuel pressure on F.I. 302 1995 talari 191

The fact that it starts means that the fuel pump and relay are operating. The fact that it shuts off is a clue that the ECU is seeing something that it does not like, perhaps a bad Throttle Position sensor or other sensor. You will need to read the codes out of the ECU to progress any further.

mikem68 06-20-2015 05:36 PM

what code reader do I need? thanks

mikem68 06-20-2015 06:39 PM

I just checked the rear fuel pump and have no pressure there either. when i turn the key on I hear a momentary whirring noise. I am assuming that is one of the fuel pumps? also, I reread my first post and I think I was not wording it correctly. when I wrote that "I put the meter on" I meant a voltage meter to check the voltage going to the front fuel pump. it shows something momentarily and then drops to zero. you would think I would at least see the fuel pressure gauge registering a small jump in pressure but nothing on either the front or rear pump. I hope a code reader is not to costly

Hudson River Steve 06-22-2015 11:41 PM

Not sure how handy you are but you can make your own code reader for just a few bucks out of an LED and some wire. You can Google it. If you want store bought you can Google Volvo Penta code reader. As with all things in life you usually get what you pay for.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

tdicamillo 06-23-2015 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hudson River Steve (Post 57019)
Not sure how handy you are but you can make your own code reader for just a few bucks out of an LED and some wire. You can Google it. If you want store bought you can Google Volvo Penta code reader. As with all things in life you usually get what you pay for.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Steve,

Is this code reader that can be built for a couple bucks specific to Volvo, or will it work on a mercuiser also? I'm having some issues and would like to see if there is any codes. I have a 1999 7.4 mercuiser mpi.

Tom

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Hudson River Steve 06-23-2015 12:17 PM

There are a lot of posts on various websites that state the homemade tool can be used on both Volvo and early Mercruiser engines. Here is one for example: Make a Marine EFI code tool for less than $1.00