The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Trips, Travels, and Meet Ups (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/trips-travels-meet-ups/)
-   -   Sparrow Lake to Big Chute!! 8/19/07 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/trips-travels-meet-ups/226-sparrow-lake-big-chute-8-19-07-a.html)

180diablo 08-20-2007 01:01 PM

Sparrow Lake to Big Chute!! 8/19/07

FINALLY made the trek over to the Big Chute marine railway !! :D:D

http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

130 photos are in there (in case u wanted to look at them all).

There are some photos of a rainbow that we saw on the way up north to the cottage Friday night. The next couple of boating pics are of the north end of Sparrow Lake and my some photos of my uncles boat. They were snapped on our way leading up to Swift Rapids lock. Next bunch are the ones on entrance to Big Chute and then ON big chute. I hoped to snap as many pics as I could on the carriage to the few that have never seen it before can get a really good look at it.

Ran over someones fishing line as I was pulling into the blue line waiting to lock through at Big Chute ($%#@&%(*%#@ fisher .. peoples) ... lol. Luckily it wasnt wrapped up in my prop!!

You will probably notice the Mariah sitting right next to me in the "going down" photos and so we chatted a little bit. I did get to plug the webpage as well. So if someone see's a new user and he says " some random guy with a mariah on big chute told me about the webpage"... then thats the guy that I met while on Big Chute.

The next few photos are going into the "little chute" which is basically a very narrow channel and strong currents area.

Then there is the return onto Big Chute as we were going back up the lift... all by ourselves !!!. We had the WHOLE carriage to my Mariah :D

Then the bridge photos are us coming up into Severn Falls and that was the last of the photos for the rest of the ride home. My gf just sat back and read her Harry Potter book and I just watched what I was doing. She was helping me out in navigating to Big Chute, so I do owe some thanks. We were swearing by the charts and we did make a log of our trip so we know for next time.

So we spent about 6 and a half hours out on the boat yesterday. We did stop about a good half hour for lunch however. But let this be a little reminder ... WEAR SUNSCREEN. Im now making it mandatory for being on my boat. Yep I was the dummy and didnt put any on and now my face is fairly red. :(

Needless to say .. I have aloe in my truck so I will put more on at lunch time.

Straad 08-20-2007 01:59 PM

looks like you had an absolutly wonderful day...man im jealous
it has rained here for the last week

where exactly is that located at?

aquaknot 08-20-2007 02:41 PM

We're planning on making that trip next year. It's a 3 hr boat trip just to get to Lake Simcoe for Cameron lake.

ShabahZ280 08-20-2007 02:51 PM

Man, that's absolutely gorgeous up there! Looks like a blast.

Maybe next year when my passport finally comes back I'll have to join my new Canadian friends for a trip. :)

180diablo 08-20-2007 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Straad (Post 737)

Oh yeah it was wonderful. Wasnt overly warm, lil bit cloudy (still got burnt tho). Probably around 22c's for the whole day and a lil bit of a breeze.

The good part is, boat traffic was kind of low at the time. So we managed to get through the locks with ease.

180diablo 08-20-2007 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Straad (Post 737)

It is along the last legs of the trent severn waterway. If i had gone a bit farther I would have been into Gloucester Pool and then into Georgian Bay. However time and gasoline were on our minds (since we had to work today).

I have attached a VERY crappy google drawing of my route. My work computer only has Microsoft Paint.. soo thats about all I could do. But it will show you my route.

180diablo 08-20-2007 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquaknot (Post 739)
We're planning on making that trip next year. It's a 3 hr boat trip just to get to Lake Simcoe for Cameron lake.

wow.. then to cross simcoe, couch and then into sparrow where I am.. you might be lookin around a 7hr+ trek. Depending on how busy all the locks are of course. Towards end of season to beginning of season might be quieter times to do it.

We left our cottage @ 10:30am ish stopped for lunch and we were there around 2pm. So ball park from Sparrow about 2hr 45mins. There is 3 speed zones on the north end and after Swift its basically a complete slow zone. Some obey it, some dont.