The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Trailering and Tow Vehicles (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/trailering-tow-vehicles/)
-   -   Dual or Triple? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/trailering-tow-vehicles/5305-dual-triple.html)

csterner 03-30-2011 03:06 PM

Dual or Triple?

I have just purchased a 2001 Z275ST and have been looking at trailers to buy. I have always had a dual axle but can't find a reasonable one. I have found a few triples, but I hear conflicting reports on them. Some say triples handle better on the road with no sway and handle bumps better. Others say that you can't turn with them as easy as a dual. What's the right choice???!!! :)

My tow vehicle is a Ford Excursion V10.

Chris

Oregondunes 03-30-2011 09:50 PM

Re: Dual or Triple?

I tow my Z302 on the factory prestige triple axle trailer. I too pull mine with a 2000 Excursion Diesel. My first tow was from Los Angeles back up to Portland straight thru. Handles like a dream compared to my old boats with single and dual axles.

csterner 03-30-2011 10:03 PM

Thanks Oregondunes! Do you have any issues with making tight turns or backing up?

Firth's Impression 03-31-2011 01:09 AM

I too tow my Z302ST with a triple axle Performance Trailer. Tows like a dream but yes, won't turn as tight as a dual. That being said, I've still be able to back her into some pretty tight spots. If you can get a good deal on the triple, I'd go for it. It would have to be a pretty sticky jam before you were unable to maneuver through it. Enjoy your new ride.

garyg 03-31-2011 01:57 AM

I would go with a Tri-axle. I have a 2000 Z 272 Shabah open bow with 7.4 MPI Bravo 111 on a factory Prestige trailer.We tow our boat with GMC Yukon XL or a GMC Heavy duty 1/2 ton 4 door ( both 4 wheel drive). WE have found towing the boat handles where well and my wife says its easier to back than our old dual axle trailers.You have to remember to make wider turns.When we coming back from Ohio to Tn. where we live. When we stopped to take a break in Ky. While checking the boat and trailer hubs and tires I saw the left rear tire was BLOWAN and shredded. We didn't notice or feel any difference while towing going about 60 to 65 MPH I have blown tires on my other boats and you known when it happens. Prestige Trailer are out of business,but another company bought some there stuff,if you go online type in Prestige Boat Trailers you can find out that company's name. What ever trailer you want your boat to sit on the bunks right. Gary G:wink_thumbup:

csterner 03-31-2011 02:42 AM

Wow! Very convincing points to all of you. We will be looking at buying a triaxle now instead of the dual. Thanks again for all your help and input!

Chris

Dredd 03-31-2011 03:52 AM

Heritage bought them. They are a quality builder. They built trailers for the original Mariahs.

There recently was this same topic on another board I'm on. From what I heard, something to consider on triples is that you want leaf springs over torsion axles. Leaf springs will spread the load to the frame better than torsions when you high center coming up steep ramps.

csterner 04-11-2011 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, we decided on going triple axle and man, what a smart choice! She handles like a dream. I drove our 2001 Z275 ST Center Cabin that we just bought back home which was a 5 hour ride and it handled so awesome. We launched her on Sat and Sun and had no issues at all with turning or backing. Love it! Thanks for all the advice!

garyg 04-11-2011 10:20 PM

CSTERNER IN MY OPION YOU MADE A GOOD CHOICE.JUST REMBER WIDE TURNS AROUND CURBS,THERE HARD ON TIRES. ON YOUR TOW VEHICLE THE REAR END LOOKS A LITTLE LOW, DOES IT HANDLE OK?? YOU HAVE A NICE LOOK BOAT AND I KNOW YOU WILL HAVE LOTS OF FUN. GARY G:wink_thumbup:

Zackattack 04-11-2011 10:24 PM

WOW, that is gorgeous. I sure wish I had palm trees to include in my photos. Congradulations on a wise investment.